Backpacking is a great way to enjoy with your loved one somewhere where you will be able to connect and to catch up. Do you have a tent yet?
If you are going outdoors with someone take my advice before buying one for you two.
Picking one that will protect you from elements is the first thing to consider. The best 2 person tents are usually lightweight and easier to carry than bigger ones.
Not every unit is big enough to accommodate the number of people that it is advertising so you must pay attention to its size and space.
Check my list of the best 2 man tents on Amazon which are good quality, lightweight and easy to set up at any time.
Best 2 Person Backpacking Tents (2021 Updated)
Top 2 man tents in more details
What model is appropriate if you are going backpacking with your partner or a friend? Well, it shouldn’t be heavy and bulky to carry, right? These ones come in small sizes, are made from light material and poles.
Every backpacker has in mind that he will have to carry his fully-packed backpack all the way to the finish and back home.
This is why you should consider a tent’s weight. Every extra pound can make your outdoor trip regrettable so consider my picks.
See the features of the best 2 person tents in 2020 and pick one that will serve you well on the trails.
TETON Sports Mountain Ultra Tent
- STAY DRY Waterproof rainfly with a 360degree ventilation system for optimal air flow that allows a...
- ROOM WITH A VIEW Get away from the city lights and enjoy a full view of the Milky Way; Full dome...
- EASY TO SET UP Lightweight tent packs down tight for backpacking hiking and camping; Micro mesh...
- PACKS UP EASILY When it’s time to head home the Mountain Ultra Tent is a quick hasslefree take...
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or...
The TETON Sports Mountain Ultra is one of the most trusted models on the market available today.
This unit with a waterproof feature is designed to last. With TETON, you can be confident that you are investing in a tent that you can use for years, especially due to the lifetime guarantee.
This is a 4 season model, which means that you are going to be protected from natural elements regardless of what time of the year you are planning to camp.
It has a 150D Oxford footprint. The inner tent is made of micro mesh for good ventilation and stargazing at night. The rainfly is waterproof with built-in vents. Its dimensions are 82.5″ x 63″ x 45″ and it weighs 5.5 pounds.
ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr Tent
- There's no assembly frustration with our Zephyr Tent series; this free-standing, aluminum two-pole...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage
- Great ventilation with two mesh doors and entire mesh walls
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes and guy ropes
- Base Size: 4'10 x 7'4, Center Height: 38" Total Weight: 5 lbs. 8 oz., Minimum Weight: 4 lbs. 11 oz.,...
This is a 3-season model which I believe is one of the lightest 2 man tents.
It has a free-standing, aluminum two-pole design which enables an easy setup due to the clips snapping on the poles.
The unit’s base size is 4’10 x 7’4, while the center height is 38 inches. It weighs 4 lbs. 11 oz.
It has a heightened roof, which prevents you from getting cramped for space while at the same time letting you move around freely.
It doesn’t need extra weatherproofing as it has a factory seam-sealed floor and a 75D 185T polyester fly with a 1500mm coating.
The floor is made of 75D 185T Poly Taffeta material with a 3000mm coating. It is a tent with 2 vestibules and 2 doors.
Coleman Sundome Tent
- Dome tent with a sturdy frame that withstands 35+ mph winds
- Easy setup in only 10 minutes. Good for backpacking
- Weathertec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Large windows and a ground vent for superior ventilation
- Measures 7 x 5 feet with 4-foot center height
This 2 person dome unit from Coleman is another great one worth checking out. It measures 7 x 5 feet and has a 4-foot center height.
The model has a big door for easy access. It has 2 windows that have a rain fly for ventilation as well as cross ventilation. Its weight is 7.17 pounds.
In order to be protected from leaking, the tent has connected seams and the WeatherTec system to make sure you are protected from the elements.
You can easily set it up due to snag-free, continuous pole sleeves. It has a fire retardant material and a flashlight loop on the ceiling.
Mounchain Camping Tent
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: The external tent -- PU3500MM polyester with 210T waterproof coating, and...
- 3-4 SEASONS: This tent combination fits almost the whole year. You could use the inner tent in...
- FOR 2 PERSONS: Package weight 5.8 lbs with a carry bag, fits for travelling, Backpacking, Camping,...
- STRONG BRACKETS: High-duty aviation aluminum pole with diameter 0.33 inch/8.5 mm.
- VENTILATION AND VIEW: Two-way zippered mesh window on the inner tent provides fabulous ventilation...
This one for two is a 3 season model that is user-friendly. Its inner tent is made of 210T breathable polyester and B3 mesh.
The outer layer is made of PU 3500mm polyester with 210T waterproof coating and waterproof adhesive strip.
It measures 106 x 82 x 45 inches when opened. The floor is made of 210D waterproof coating PU 4000 mm Oxford.
This Mounchain model weighs 5.8 pounds. Setting it up should take a few minutes. It has a second-layer rain cover that helps to keep it warm during colder weather.
The bottom of it has sidewalls that are approximately 4 inches thick, so, if it ever rains hard, you can assure that you’ll be dry during your stay.
The poles are made of high-duty aviation aluminum pole that has a diameter of 0.33 inch/8.5 mm.
- 2-PERSON: This backpacking tent is spacious enough to accommodate up to two people, perfect for...
- WEATHER PROTECTED: Seam Taped Construction makes an impenetrable barrier against Rain and prevents...
- EASY TO SET UP & FREESTANDING: Single Aluminum pole structure makes the tent easy to set up and pack...
- 3 SEASON: This tent is suitable for 3 Seasons and preferred use for Hiking, Expeditions, Fishing,...
- WARRANTY & ACCESSORIES: Backed with a limited lifetime manufacturing warranty and from a U.S....
This is an ultralight 3 season tent that weighs 5 pounds. It is made of tear-resistant waterproof fabrics. It has 2 doors and vestibules.
The model has taped seams and a bathtub floor that is made of 210-denier nylon with a 3000mm coating.
This freestanding unit has one aluminum pole. The floor dimensions are 84 x 51 inches. The unit has 43 inches of center height.
It also has a 75-denier Ripstop Polyester with a 3000mm coating rainfly to keep you protected in case of rain.
What do you need to consider?
Consider the next factors as most important when picking a tent for two persons.
It’s essential for you to find a lightweight model with high quality and durable material. Look for a tent that won’t slow you down as you trek to your campsite or hike through the hills.
Another important consideration when shopping for a tent is the size. A 2-person unit will usually accommodate two persons comfortably, but it can also be perfect for only one camper who wants more living space and area for camping gears.
They come in different styles. Two of the most common ones are a dome and a pop-up tent. Dome tents are more stable due to poles while pop-ups are pitched fast as you just throw them in the air.
What is the lightest 2 man tent?
The lightest 2 man tent from the list is ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr model that weighs 4lbs 11 oz. It is a freestanding polyester unit that has only 2 poles.
How heavy is a 2 man tent?
If you look at these models they weight more than 4 pounds.
The Zephyr model is the lightest of all on the list while the Coleman Sundome unit weighs the most, 7.17 pounds. In general, the weight of the tent depends on its material, size, and poles.
How big is a 2 person tent?
A 2 man tent should accommodate 2 people inside comfortably. However, not every model offers comfort as you expect. Several units don’t provide enough space for comfortable sleeping and gear storage.
If you consider your tent for camping or backpacking you should know that it will provide you shelter but not a glamping experience.
A decent unit for two should provide enough space for sleeping and enough vents for air circulation.
What is the best 2 person tent?
According to my picks on the list I should recommend TETON Sports or Mounchain model for winter camping.
Teton unit has a 150D Oxford footprint and comes with a waterproof rainfly. It also has a good ventilation system so you don’t have to worry about breathability.
Mounchain tent is a 3-4 season unit that has a PU 3500mm coated polyester and also 210T waterproof coating and waterproof adhesive strip.
However, if you will be outdoors at warmer days get a Zephyr or Featherstone model. They are both 3-season units with lots of mesh to provide air.
How much is a two-person tent?
Tent cost depends on the brand, material quality, and quantity, size, and features. You can get a decent 2 person model for a reasonable price of up to $100.
The cost varies but I don’t recommend buying one that is cheap, let’s say around $20-$30. You can’t expect that it will last long and provide you safety and comfort.
Spend quality outdoor time together
I am sure you don’t want to invite a person on a backpack or camping trip and disappoint him or her because you didn’t think of a decent tent for the two of you.
I presented you with the best 2 person tents for camping and hiking which are of high-quality. Consider what you need for an outdoor trip and buy one that meets the requirements of you and your fellow companion.