Choosing the right kind of tent can be intimidating. Do you have a problem choosing one for your needs? If you will be camping or backpacking with a person or a family of 3 then read on.
Your tent should be lightweight to carry it in your backpack. If you are a small family or you will be outdoors with a friend one of these tents can provide shelter without extra weight on your back.
Here are the models from reputable outdoor brands that offer shelter and security for up to three people. They are mostly 3-season units with a dome shape. They are lightweight, compact, easy and fast to pitch so they are perfect for backpacking or camping with a backpack.
Best 3 person tents of 2020
|Winterial 3-Person Backpacking Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|TETON Sports Mountain Ultra 3-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Eureka! Tetragon HD 3-Person Waterproof Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Naturehike Cloud-Up 3-Person Backpacking Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Wenzel Alpine 3-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
What is the best 3 person backpacking tent?
3 man tents are the one that you take on camping or on a backpacking trail. These ones that I carefully chose as my top picks are meant for 2 people to have comfort. This means you will be using it with your small family or with your best friend or partner.
Another thing that is worth mentioning is that I give you models that are appropriate to use in different weather and season. So, be careful and consider all factors that can impact your outdoor experience. Here are the top tents explained in more detail, so you will have an easier decision to choose the right one.
- FEATURES include: Rain Fly Vented Roof ,Two Durable ALUMINUM Tipped Tent Poles Screen and Solid...
- EASILY holds 3 people. Comparable to Coleman and Alps Mountaineering
- 4 Metal Stakes; Open Dimensions: 82 x 64 x 46 inches, Pack Dimensions: 23.8 x 4.4 x 4.1 inches /...
- PERFECT for any outdoor trip, lightweight and is very compact when folded
- GREAT 3 person backpacking tent that can be easily packed for your trip!
The Winterial unit is the first one on my list. It is simple and straightforward and it doesn’t come with any parts that you may think are not necessary. The tent measures 82 x 64 x 46 inches and has 4.4lbs.
It has two aluminum poles and four stakes. This ultralight model has a removable rainfly and two zippered doors with ventilation screens. Its roof ventilation feature doesn’t compromise during rainy days so you will be safe from the leakage. It features a split door fly that you can roll-up.
Teton Sports Mountain Ultra Tent
- STAY DRY Waterproof rainfly with a 360degree ventilation system for optimal air flow that allows a...
- ROOM WITH A VIEW Get away from the city lights and enjoy a full view of the Milky Way; Full dome...
- EASY TO SET UP Lightweight tent packs down tight for backpacking hiking and camping; Micro mesh...
- PACKS UP EASILY When it’s time to head home the Mountain Ultra Tent is a quick hasslefree take...
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or...
This dome unit is one of the most flexible and extremely regarded tents on the market you can find today. Its dimensions are 90″ x 78″ x 49″ and it weighs 6.6 pounds. This model features 2 doors.
It has a waterproof rainfly with built-in vents and a tube-like tent floor. A footprint is made from 150D Oxford. A full mesh top serves for ventilation at hot nights and for stargazing.
This 3-person unit is definitely built to last, so, you will be confident that it will offer the performance you need as the company offers a lifetime warranty. As a four-season shelter, you will be happy to know that it will keep you protected from the elements regardless of camping time.
Eureka Tetragon HD
- Eureka! 's freestanding, two-pole dome architecture includes a fiberglass frame with clips and...
- A large main door provides easy access to the interior, while the no-see-um mesh roof and side...
- Protect your camping companions from the elements with the waterproof rain fly, bathtub floor, and...
- The tent includes the exclusive E! Media Center in-tent entertainment hub for quiet time or rainy...
- Sleeps three people; measures 7 feet by 7 feet (floor) and 4 feet 4 inches tall at peak; weighs 6...
This freestanding unit is one of the best 3 person camping tents which accommodates up to three persons and has a two-pole design. Its frame is made of fiberglass with clips and ring/pin corner assemblies which enable fast pitch. This model has one D-shaped door.
It measures 7 feet x 7 feet (floor) and is 4 feet 4 inches tall at the peak. Its weight is 6 pounds 7 ounces. No-see-um mesh roof and side panels take care of proper ventilation. The Tetragon unit has a waterproof rainfly, bathtub floor, and fully seam-taped construction.
It has 2-mesh gear pockets where you can keep your personal items. You will also have a flashlight loop, clothesline loops, and a gear loft. The special feature of this model is the E! media center where you can put your favorite device and watch a movie or listen to your favorite songs.
Naturehike Cloud up tent
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The Naturehike cloud up tent still maintains the ultralight weight that minimalist...
- WATERPROOF: 210T polyester rain fly & bathtub with PU 3000 coating is better in waterproof and...
- EASY TO SET UP: It is an outdoor tent that can be quickly assembled in 5 minutes and can be easily...
- QUALITY THROUGHOUT: The high-quality details include but not limited to smooth and reliable YKK dual...
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: We stand behind our products and provide a 30-day money-back guarantee for any...
This lightweight backpacking unit is a 4 season dome tent that can accommodate up to 3 persons. The inner material is made with anti-scratch 210T nylon mesh while the full cover rainfly is made of 210T rip-stop nylon with PU3000mm coating.
The poles and strong and lightweight due to 7001 space aluminum. It is a freestanding unit that will take you around 2 minutes to set up. It weighs 5.7lbs and measures 84.6″x70.9″x43.3″. The unit has one door and a UV protection of 50+. It is one of the best 3 person backpacking tents worth having.
Wenzel Alpine Tent
- 3-person, 3-pole pentadome tent with removable fly
- Shock-corded fiberglass frame for quick and easy setup
- Integrated mud mat with drainage strip to keep tent clean
- 2 mesh windows and D-style front door for ventilation
- Measures 8.5 x 4 x 8 feet (W x H x D); weighs 8 pounds
Wenzel Alpine model measures 8.5 x 4 x 8 feet and weighs 8 pounds. This 3-pole pentadome tent has a vestibule where you can store your gear. It has a D-shape door with mesh window and closable mesh windows for cross ventilation. You will pitch it easily due to shock-corded fiberglass frame and pole pockets.
It has an integrated mud mat with a drainage strip to keep it clean. This model has a gear loft and hanging gear pocket. It is more suitable to use during the winter.
What is the lightest 3 person tent?
The main feature of backpacking tents is that they are lightweight. The lightest one on the list is a Winterial model that weighs 4.4 pounds. It is of high quality and compact. It is easy and fast to assemble and appropriate for taller people.
How much is a 3 person tent?
Tent price depends on several factors. The main factors are the brand, size, material, poles, features, and special equipment and abilities. The price range of the models on the list is from $50 to $200.
How do I choose a hiking tent?
It is important that you don’t rush with your purchase since your decision will impact your future outdoor expeditions. I give you some general tips regarding choosing a backpacking tent.
Consider when you will be outdoors and what weather do you expect. If you will be hiking in warm days then you should choose a breathable unit as Winterial model on the list.
However, if you intend to hike in bad weather then rather use a Teton Sports Mountain, Eureka! Tetragon HD, Naturehike Cloud Up or Wenzel Alpine model.
Then also consider the features that will make your backpacking easier and comfy (mesh, vents, bathtub floor, setup, storage pockets, etc.).
Get the lightweight tent
Hopefully, this article has been helpful for you to decide which one of these best 3 person tents is worth buying. Before you go outdoors make sure that you have the right one for your destination and don’t forget to consider its features.
If you will go to a location that is known for its hot weather take a tent that has plenty of mesh and vents. However, if you are expecting cold and precipitation, get one that is waterproof, stable and made of quality materials.