Are you going outdoors and you need a tent? A 3-season tent is the most popular tent style available today. It is ideal for spring, summer, and fall so unless you’re planning on camping during harsh weather and heavy snow, choose among best 3 season tents that I recommend.
They are also known as backpacking units and are the most versatile. Along with offering protection from bugs, wind, and rain, they are fairly lightweight and have good ventilation.
Their breathability during warmer days is crucial for your well-being and preventing condensation inside. It should have enough vents and mesh for air circulation so check my picks of top 3 season tents that won’t overload your backpack.
Best 3 Season Tents in 2020
Features of the Top 3-Season Tents
What if you want to go winter camping with it? Can you use it in the snow? I don’t recommend it but you can still use it if it is well-ventilated and has a rainfly that will cover the entire tent to the ground. Another important feature that I should point out are the poles. They have to be sturdy so the snow won’t break them.
Tents come with different shapes and features, that’s why many people have a problem choosing the right one for their needs. In order to make things easier for you, I listed 5 of my favorite 3-season tents with its features for you to find the right one.
Mountainsmith Genesee 4 Person Tent
No products found.
The first on my list is Mountainsmith Genesee 4 person tent. Weighing less than 7 lbs., this one is lightweight enough to be carried while backpacking. It offers 56 square feet of space and has 52 inches of center hight. Interior mesh storage pockets and detachable ceiling mesh pocket take care of the item organization.
Setting it up is easy using the color-coded poles. This freestanding unit has two doors, which gives easy access and has two small vestibules (21 square feet) where you can keep some of your belongings.
It has a bathtub floor and taped floor seams. This Genesee model has reflective guy lines with tension lock cord adjustment. It is a small 3 season family tent.
Kelty Trail Ridge Tent
- It's all about livable space with the Kelty Trail Ridge 3 tent, trail-worthy tent designed for...
- Dual doors offer convenient access without having to climb over your partner; 2 vestibules provide...
- Freestanding design is easy to move around for ideal campsite placement
- Color-coded clip construction is quick and easy to set up, and eliminates guesswork
- Includes Stuff Sack and Steaks
The second one that I want to recommend to you is the Kelty Trail Ridge, which is a freestanding tent, with reliable, sturdy, and comfortable features.
Its body is mostly made of a mesh in the higher part that’s great for breathability. The floor area is 68 D waterproof and with each seam taped securely.
The D-shape doors are very convenient and easily open to the side if you want to keep the door wide open. It also has big vestibules in front of the doors. You will have a large area to move around and organize your stuff.
WEANAS Professional Backpacking Tent
- MULTIPLE CHOICE - Spacious Interior: 86 x 51 inch floor; the Waterproof & Lightweight backpacking...
- SNUGLY PERFECT FOR TALL PEOPLE OVER 6ft - Upgraded floor dimensions is 85x51 in, which ensures tall...
- TWO DOOR DESIGN & BIG FRONT VESTIBULE - This tent has two doors so that occupants aren't crawling...
- EASY TO INSTALL - One person can easily and quickly install the tent, easily and quickly. With...
- MULTIFUNCTION USAGE: Inner and out layer superpose together as a weatherproof backpacking camping...
This Weanas model is perfect for hiking and backpacking. It is pared to two aluminum poles and it doesn’t have sleeves, which makes setup easy and fast. A person can set it up in 5-10 minutes.
It has 2 doors, weighs 4.9 pounds and comes with 86″x51″ floor. Its peak height is 45″. The floor has a 5000mm waterproof index and a rainfly 4000mm of the coating.
The inner tent is made of 201T polyester and nylon breathable mesh material. This model has a big front vestibule that can serve you as a porch and give you space for storing your gear.
A dual-zipper vestibule on the rainfly (made of 201T polyester with PU coating) serves as an awning. Poles are made of 7001 Aerospace Durable Aluminum Alloy.
Kelty Grand Mesa Tent
- Kelty Grand Mesa 2, this two person camping tent provides excellent value and performance for...
- Freestanding design is easy to move around for ideal campsite placement, Includes Stuff Sack and...
- Color-coded clip construction that eliminates the hassle of feeding poles through cumbersome tent...
- Seasons: 3, Number of doors: 1, Number of vestibules: 1, Capacity: 2, Number of aluminum poles: 2
- Dimensions: Length: 85 x Width: 57/44 x Height: 43 in | Floor area: 30 ft, Vestibule area: 6 ft. |...
If you are looking for a smaller 3-season tent, you may want to check out The Kelty Grand Mesa which is perfect for a solo camper but it can fit 2 persons as well.
It is made of polyester, which gives durability and breathability. It is freestanding with color-coded clip construction which makes setup easy. The tent has shock-corded 7000 Series Aluminum poles.
This Kelty model is lightweight as it weighs less than 5 lbs. and has 30 square feet floor area. It is easy to carry while backpacking, hiking, and camping.
It comes with a lot of features which makes it a great choice when looking for a three-season tent. It’s very spacious with sufficient room for your gears. It has a fly vent and side-release tent-fly connection.
ALPS Mountaineering Chaos Tent
- There's no assembly frustration with our Chaos Tent series; this aluminum, free-standing pole system...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage space
- Mostly mesh walls and mesh roofing increases ventilation and improves star-gazing
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pocket, gear loft, aluminum stakes, guy ropes and one...
- Base Size: 4'8 x 7'2, Center Height: 40", Total Weight: 5 lbs. 15 oz., Minimum Weight: 5 lbs. 7 oz.,...
ALPS Mountaineering Chaos model can accommodate 2 persons. It is made of 75D 185T polyester taffeta material with 1500mm coating. A free-standing pole system will make your setup easy and quick.
The tent has a UV polyester tent fly and 2 vestibules. With plenty of mesh material, you will have good ventilation and a stargaze view.
It has a 4’8 x 7’2 base area and a center height of 40″. It weighs 5 lbs. 15 oz. This ALPS Mountaineering model has #8 zippers, gear loft, aluminum stakes and has two doors for easy entry/exit. It has vertical walls, factory sealed seams, 1500mm coating and 75D 185T poly taffeta floor with 3000mm coating.
The Basic Features of the Three-Season Tent
When looking for a 3 season tent pay attention to next features:
- Great ventilation system during the summer season
- Come with mesh interiors, which significantly reduce breath condensation
- Could be used without a fly for bug-proof shelter during warm evenings
- Usually lightweight
- Come with a lot of mesh features
- Compact and easy to setup
- May come with impressive features such as s vestibule and a skylight window for stargazing
If you love taking camping adventures into the wild, then a lightweight, technical model would be an amazing choice for you.
There are different 3-season tents on the market, so when choosing the right one for you, the first thing for you to decide is what type of terrain and environment you’ll be camping in, the number of people going, and what features you think are the most important.
Can you use it in winter?
It is possible to use it for winter camping however you should be sure that it will protect you from the snow and strong wind. Its stabilization is important. I recommend you to use a tarp over it to have additional protection from precipitation and possible leakage.
What is the best 3 season tent?
It should have a lot of mesh to offer enough ventilation during hot days. Vents are also a must so check how many are there. This type of tent should be lightweight and easy to set up.
What makes a tent 3 season?
It has light materials and plenty of mesh material and vents to provide ventilation and prevent condensation in warmer days. This type of tent will protect you from the moderate rain and wind but is not suitable for winter camping.
Get the most breathable tent
When going to camp or backpack in the normal weather conditions then it is best to choose a camping tent that will provide enough ventilation but still protect you in the case of rain.
Check my top picks of the best 3 season tents and don’t forget to look at their features to determine which one will fit you outdoors.