There is nothing more relaxing than going to the wild with people you love. Camping requires good preparation and equipment for a pleasant outdoor experience and this also includes a decent tent.
The 4 man units are a good choice if you will be outdoors with a family or with your friends. These units are meant for camping in a group so it must have enough space to provide comfort. If you have two children that you must look for a model where you will be able to sleep comfortably.
With a lot of models available on the market today, choosing the best 4 person tent for camping is a challenging task. I am giving you my top 5 picks so you and your loved ones will enjoy the great outdoors and remember a great trip.
Best 4 person tents of 2020
Best 4 man tents review
Every tent is different and when choosing yours consider features that will fit your needs and provide you safety. Units that can occupy up to four people are considered as big units. Their companies had family camping in mind when manufacturing them.
The brands that I picked are reputable outdoor companies because I want you to experience the great outdoors as you should – comfortable and satisfied. Three of them come in cabin and two in a dome shape.
If you have bigger kids I don’t recommend Kelty Salida or ALPS Mountaineering Taurus model because they can be too small for you. All of them offer good weather protection and can be used in normal weather conditions with some rain.
However, take a closer look at their features to figure it out which is appropriate for your adventure. Here are the details of the ones that can occupy 4 of you and should satisfy you as a camper.
Coleman 4 Person Instant Cabin Tent
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; integrated rainfly...
- Built to last: Double-thick fabric stands up to the elements season after season
- Instant setup: In as fast as 1 minute
- Roomy interior: 8 x 7 ft. With 4 ft. 11 in. Center height; fits 1 queen-size air bed
- 1-year limited warranty
The Coleman instant cabin model sets up quick due to the preassembled poles – you can easily set it up in less than a minute. It has 8 x 7 feet of space and measures 4 feet, 11 inches in center hight. You can put a queen bed inside.
The WeatherTec system patented welded floor and inverted seams will protect you from rain. Its integrated vented rainfly offers additional protection and enables air ventilation. It is made of rugged Polyguard 2X double-thick fabric that is durable and long-lasting. This Coleman instant tent is very popular among campers.
Browning Glacier 4 person tent
- Free-standing, aluminum two-pole design offers easy assembly with pole clips that snap over tent...
- Full coverage fly offers two large vestibules and maximum protection from weather and UV damage
- Straight side walls gives you ultimate interior room for more storage and head space. Pole diameter:...
- Fully equipped with mesh roof vents, two doors with zippered mesh windows, mesh storage pockets,...
- Base Size: 8' x 9', Center Height: 6', Total Weight: 19 lbs. 4 oz.
This freestanding model is a hybrid of a cabin and dome-style tent and occupies up to 4 people. It has 72 square feet of space and weighs 19.2 pounds. You can use cots and bunk-cots as they are going to fit nicely against sheer walls. The poles are aluminum.
The floor is made of 210D Oxford polyester with 2000mm coating. The rainfly is made of 75D 210D polyester which resists UV rays. It has extra-large zippers and is designed to keep the warmth, but also offers good ventilation due to big windows and side vents.
Gazelle Pop Up Portable Camping Tent
- CONVENIENCE: A 90 second set-up and packs up into a 67.5 inch duffle bag. Spaciously sleep up to...
- RAINFLY WITH INTEGRATED POLES: A waterproof rainfly with taped seams is included with each tent. The...
- STURDY POP-UP HUB DESIGN: Our camping tents come fully assembled and pop-up fast thanks to the...
- DURABLE BEEFY YKK ZIPPERS: Zippers go through a lot of abuse, and there is nothing worse than...
- REMOVABLE FLOOR: The rugged polyester floor is held securely in place by a thick strip of extra...
This Gazelle pop up model can accommodate up to 4 people and looks like a hexagon unit. It sets up fast (in 90 seconds), has 61 sq. feet of space and 78 inches of center hight. This model has metal hubs and fiberglass poles. The weight is 30lb and is made of coated 21 denier Oxford weave polyester. It can handle up to 2000mm hydrostatic head.
It features durable YKK zippers and waterproof rainfly with taped seams. The floor is made from rugged polyester and can be easily removed and cleaned. It has 2 doors and 6 mesh windows for ventilation and view. You can store your items in gear loft, 2 storage nets and 4-wall mounted pouch pockets.
Kelty Salida Tent
- Backpack-friendly compact folding poles, Gearloft loops, Color coded clip and fly attachment.Wall...
- Roll top cube carry bag, Easy set up, Free standing, Fabric/mesh tent walls
- Kelty hug clip, Easy entry D door, Internal storage pockets, Fully seam taped construction
- Seasons: 3, Number of doors: 1, Number of vestibules: 1, Number of poles: 2, Capacity: 4
- Floor area: 55 ft² / 5.11 m², Vestibule area: 11 ft² / 1.02 m². Wall material: 68D Polyester,...
Kelty Salida is a 3 season 4 man dome tent. It is freestanding and backpack friendly. Due to the easy pitch, it is perfect for beginners. It is designed to ensure stability through all weather conditions and terrain.
Walls are made of 68D polyester and 40D No-See-Um mesh material. The floor material is 68D nylon with 1800mm coating. Its seams are fully taped. It has a gear loft loops, a color-coded clip, and a rainfly. The floor area measures 55 square feet. It comes with aluminum poles.
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 4-Person Tent
- There's no assembly frustration with our Taurus Tent series; this free-standing, fiberglass two-pole...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage and...
- Mesh roof, two entryways and a zippered window on each door offers easy access and great ventilation
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, mesh storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes and guy ropes
- Base Size: 7'6 x 8'6, Center Height: 52", Total Weight: 10 lbs. 8 oz., Color: Sage/Rust
This is a small 4 person unit that has a free-standing fiberglass pole system that allows easy entry with 2 doors on both sides. It is lightweight as it weighs 10lbs 11 oz. It measures 64 square feet and has 52 inches of center hight.
The floor is made of 185T Poly taffeta with 2000mm coating while the fly is made of 75D 185T polyester with 1500mm coating. This model has a good ventilation system with mesh on the roof and windows. It is a tent with double vestibules for additional storage of your gear.
Features to Consider
When choosing a tent for your family vacation or camping with friends, you should consider the next features.
Consider the size and number of campers when getting a new one. I recommend getting a bigger unit as you will be able to store your gears and have more space.
Camping tents are advertised for a specific number of people but it happens many times that people are complaining regarding too little space inside. In this regard, I recommend getting a bigger one so you will have more freedom inside and also a place for storing the gear and personal things.
Two common tent types are fixed and freestanding. Fixed ones need guy line support that stretches the fabric and secure them to the ground.
Freestanding, on the other hand, don’t need guy lines, though, in extreme temperature and strong winds, stakes and guy lines could be used to support and anchor it securely. If there are no guy lines, the freestanding one is better as it is easier to move.
Make sure to get one that is suitable for the weather. Do you need a tent for summer camping? Look for one that has a lot of mesh and vents. However, if you are expecting unpredictable weather choose a waterproof model.
What is the best tent for a family of 4?
I showed you 5 units that are a good choice if you are going outdoors with your family. These units are made with quality material and offer good protection from the elements. If you have bigger family then choose one of first three models as they are bigger as the last two.
According to popularity, the Coleman 4-person cabin tent is the best tent for a family of 4.
What size is a 4 man tent?
The size of a 4 man tent depends on the model and outdoor brand. One thing is for sure, it must enable you to fit 4 sleeping bags inside. The size varies from 55 sq. feet (Kelty Salida) to 72 (Browning Glacier) or more sq feet of space.
How big of a tent do I need for a family of 4?
You need a unit that can fit at least 4 sleeping bags inside. All four picks can provide sufficient space for a family of four however the last two models from the list are smaller than the first three. If you are taller then avoid the Kelty Salida model and ALPS Mountaineering tent because they are smaller than others.
How much does a 4 man tent weight?
The tent’s weight depends on material, poles, size and other features. Natural fabric units weight more than synthetic ones. Generally speaking, a 4 man model weighs from 7 (Kelty Salida) to 30 (Gazelle Hub) pounds or more.
How much is a 4 person tent?
The price for a 4 person tent varies from $100 to $400. It depends on the manufacturer, model, material, poles, features, and other specifications. The smaller units cost less than bigger units.
The most expensive unit from the list is the Browning and the cheapest is Kelty Salida model.
Look for the right tent features
To find an appropriate model for your group camping, consider the features that I stated as vital. If you will camp in hot weather then focus on a tent with lots of mesh that will provide ventilation.
However, if the weather will be harsh, rainy and windy then you should take care of the safety and get a good waterproof unit with a rainfly that will prevent leakage and keep you warm inside. Look at the best 4 person tents on my list and find your winner.