Are you looking for a tent that can occupy up to 5 people? Camping is no doubt an extremely fun outdoor activity, especially when spent with friends and family.
Before you go on a camping adventure, you should have a proper tent. While there are many models available on the market, picking the right one can be a challenging task.
Some tents on my list are advertised for 6 people. I included them on the list of the best 5 person tents because it is always better to have more space than less.
Best 5 Person Camping Tents Of 2021
|Top Top Top||Mobihome 6-Person Family Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top Top Top||TOMOUNT 5-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top Top Top||ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 5 Outfitter Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top Top Top||Coleman 6-Person Dome Tent with Screen Room||Check price on Amazon|
|Top Top Top||CORE 6-Person Dome Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top||UNP 4-6 Person Waterproof Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top||NTK Indy GT XL 6 Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top||OT QOMOTOP T 6 Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top||Browning Camping Big Horn Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Top||Coleman Skydome 6 Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
What is the best tent for a family of 5?
If you have a family of 5 then check my picks as they are manufactured by reputable outdoor companies. They have different features so take a closer look at each of them to find your perfect pick.
They are large enough to fit your family members and some camping equipment. If you expect a lot of rain and wind then it is best to choose the Hikergarden tent. However, if you will be outdoors in summer, I recommend the Mobihome model.
Mobihome 6-person tent
- INSTANT QUICK UP TENT - Special hub system design for single operation - Up in seconds, down in a...
- DURABLE & VENTILATIVE - 190T polyester camping tent fly; Sturdy, watertight PE tent floor;...
- LIGHTWEIGHT - Compact and portable family tent for easy setup; Water repellent fabrics,...
- SPACIOUS & COMFORTABLE - Camping tent with spacious design offers enough room for 2 parents with 2-3...
- MOBIHOME BRAND PROMISE - Welcome to contact our amazing customer service team if you have any...
This Mobihome extended dome unit measures 161.42″ x 82.68″ x 55.12″ inches and can occupy up to 6 people (ideal for 2 parents with 2-3 children). You can fit 2 queen-size beds or six sleeping bags inside. It weighs 14.3 lbs.
It is made of double poly guard fabric while the fly is made of 68D 190T polyester with 1500mm PU. The floor is PE watertight and made of 120G polyethylene. Poles’ diameter is 7.9/8.5/9.5mm.
This is an instant setup tent which means you will be able to pitch it fast due to the special hub system design. You will have to roll it out, lock your poles, pull the drawstring and you are ready to use it.
It has reinforced/heat-sealed seams and a fully taped rainfly. While it is a waterproof model you will be able to have good ventilation in summer since it has plenty of micro-mesh – on the roof, 3 windows, and doors.
Two big top mesh windows enable stargazing. It has a door extension as an awning and dual zippered doors. Poles’ diameter is 7.9/8.5/9.5mm. This 3 season model has a wind-resistant structure.
Hikergarden camping tent
- ROOMY FOR 5 - HIKERGARDEN 5-person tent is the best family tent you will find. This Tent is very...
- EASY SETUP - Easy Install in 8mins. It takes only a few simple steps to set up a perfect tent....
- PROFESSIONAL WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF - By a professional water testing, HIKERGARDEN family tent’s...
- VENTILATION & LIGHTWEIGHT - Get away from the city lights, and you are able to gaze at the Milky...
- SMOOTH ZIP - Smooth & sturdy zippers, never stuck. 2-way zippers make it convenient to get in and...
This Hikergarden 4-season cabin tent can accommodate up to 5 people and can fit 2 queen air mattresses or 5 sleeping bags inside. The floor is 8 feet wide. It weighs 20.72 pounds.
It is made of polyester that has a waterproof index of 4000mm. The rainfly is included. The frame has redesigned poles that can withstand rainy and windy weather conditions.
Due to snag-free continuous pole sleeves, the setup will take you about 8 minutes. It features sturdy 2-way zippers for an easier entrance.
This model has large D-shape doors (with mesh), mesh windows, and top mesh that take care of the ventilation. It also has an organization mesh pocket and an electrical access port.
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 5 Outfitter Tent
Another well-designed and quality product I like is the Alps Mountaineering 5 person dome tent. It has natural muted colors that blend well with the environment. It measures 8’ x 10’ and has a center height of 6’. The total weight is 13 lbs. 5 oz.
The floor is made of 210D 110T Nylon Oxford (+ 1500 mm coating) that is long-lasting and sturdy. The fly is made of 75D 185T polyester with a 1500 mm coating. It includes aluminum poles.
It’s very easy to set up since it has a freestanding pole system that requires attaching pole clips to the 7000 series aluminum poles. Large #10 zippers enable smooth operation on doors and a vestibule.
It has 2 doors and vestibules (32 ft²). Seams are factory sealed. Mesh roof vents take care of air circulation. The Taurus Outfitter also has a storage loft, gear pockets, and 4 loops on each corner which you can use for drying clothes.
Coleman Evanston 6-person screened tent
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers...
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 feet full-floor screen room
- Roomy interior: 10 x 9 feet with 5 feet 8 inch center height; Fits 2 queen-size air beds
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
The Coleman Evanston is a high-quality tent that can accommodate up to 6 people. You can fit 2 queen-size air beds inside. The inner tent measures 10 x 9 feet while the screen room is 10 x 5 feet. The height peak is 5-foot 8-inch. It weighs 21 lbs.
It is made of 75D polyester taffeta material. This Coleman model with a screen room has a WeatherTec system that will protect you in bad weather conditions due to patented welded floors and inverted seams.
A rainfly offers additional weather protection. The floor features welding technology for anti-tear protection. It has awnings that enable ventilation without the rain getting inside.
The zippers and seams are protected. It has wall mesh pockets for item storage. Mesh roof and vents will take care of proper ventilation.
The setup is easy and due to snag-free, continuous pole sleeves, and Insta-Clip pole attachments. You will be able to pitch it in about 15 minutes.
The frame is wind resistant (it can hold up to 35+ MPH winds) since it has redesigned poles and guy-out triangles.
CORE 6 Person Dome Tent
- Sleeps 6 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the tent floor
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
- 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: We strive for total satisfaction with all of our products.
This dome tent from CORE Equipment measures 11′ x 9′ and can accommodate up to 6 people. Its center height is 72’. It can fit 2 queen air mattresses and weighs 12.72 pounds.
It is made of 68D polyester while poles are made of fiberglass. The floor is manufactured with durable 115gsm P.E.
This model features an H2O block technology that includes water repellent fabric, sealed seams, fully taped rainfly, rain-resistant door, and window seals.
Adjustable air intake vents and mesh ceiling provide air circulation.
This 6-person model has a large meshed gear loft for storing items and a lantern hook. It has electrical port access that can be closed when not in use. The unit has zippered privacy panels on both doors and windows.
UNP camping tent
- 【Weatherproof &High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm polyurethane...
- 【Roomy Interior】10ft x 9ft with 78in Center Height, fit 6 sleeping bags, Has enough room for 6...
- 【Multiple Interior Storage Options】Electrical Access Port lets you run a cord from your device...
- 【Visibility And Ventilation】2 roof vents plus low side vent create "chimney effect" ventilation,...
- 【Easy Set-Up】 No particular skills needed, 2 people could set up the tent easily in 3 min. The...
This cabin tent measures 10ft x 9ft and has 78 inches center height. It can occupy up to 6 persons and 2 full air mattresses. The model weighs 20 pounds.
This 3-season unit is manufactured with 185T polyester that has 1000mm polyurethane coating. It features steel fiber reinforced polymer and fiberglass poles.
Ventilation is taken care of since it has 2 roof vents and a low side vent that create “a chimney effect” to prevent condensation.
Vents are adjustable. Bugproof mesh paneling and D-shaped doors help to have an optimal airflow. There are 5 mesh side windows.
The unit features E-port, gear loft, and mesh pockets for item storage. The floor is seam-sealed. Ripstop panels protect from the wind and offer privacy.
Fly attaches with buckles enable a quick and secure setup. You are able to hang a lantern. It comes with a rain fly.
NTK Indy GT XL
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The INDY 5- 6 person tent is great for all the family . With...
The Indy model has 14 ft. x 8 ft. and 6.2 ft. dimensions. It can accommodate up to 6 people with sleeping bags or a queen air mattress (fewer people comfortably). The product’s weight is 17 pounds.
The waterproof bath-tub floor features anti-fungus seamless polyethylene and an inner silver-coated layer.
The outer material is manufactured with polyester taffeta 68D 190T with 2500mm PU. Mosquito mesh is made of ultra-thin no-see-um polyester. It features fiberglass and aluminum poles.
This 3-season tent includes D-shape doors. An innovative pin-and-ring system takes care of an easy setup. An extra-thick Nano-Flex technology withstands the wind. Bugs won’t annoy you due to an ultra-slim polyester micro-mesh material.
With the mesh and 3 vents on the rain fly, you will have ultimate ventilation. This unit has a separate room where you can place a table and store the gear.
The doors of the separated room can be used as a large vestibule. It has a utility inner pocket and a lantern “O” ring.
QOMOTOP Instant Camping Tent
No products found.
This instant cabin model measures 10 x 9 feet and has a 5-foot 6-inch height. It can accommodate up to 6 person max and has room for 2 air beds. It weighs 16.8 pounds.
The unit is made of durable 68D polyester with PU coating. The floor is manufactured of polyethylene so you don’t have to worry about groundwater. It features steel poles.
It has windows on all sides and large doors. The setup is instant and you will be able to put it up in one minute due to the system. It has a removable rain fly and special green webbing as color coding for fly positioning that won’t rotate.
It is taken care of ventilation since it has a mesh roof, adjustable ground vent, and zippered mesh windows for air to circulate.
Electrical cord access is there for charging your phone and other electrical devices. Internal storage pockets will make your things organized and at hand.
Browning Camping Big Horn Tent
Browning Camping made a Big Horn model that has dimensions 8ft x 10ft, and a center height of 84”. Its weight is 21 pounds. The 3-season tent can occupy up to 5 people with 5 sleeping bags.
This freestanding unit has fiberglass poles and steel uprights for extra strength. It is made of 75D 185T polyester. The floor is manufactured with 150D polyester oxford that has a 2000mm coating.
It has 4 large windows and D-shaped doors. The tent is fully-equipped with guy ropes, steel stakes, and mesh storage pockets.
It features a hub design for an easy setup. The fly is factory-sealed and it has floor seams to protect you from the water. The weatherproof rain fly buckles take care of a rain fly maximum adjustability.
Coleman Skydome Camping Tent
- 6 PERSON: Spacious 6 person tent sets up in under 5 minutes with pre-attached poles
- FEATURES: Nearly vertical walls offer 20-percent more headroom space than traditional dome tents;...
- INCLUDES: Includes a mesh storage pocket and a gear loft to keep small items organized; Carry bag...
- SPECIFICATIONS: Fits 2 queen-size air beds; Center height: 6 feet; Dimensions (L x W): 10 feet x 8...
A Skydome model can occupy up to 6 people since its dimensions are 10 feet x 8 feet and 6 inches. You will be able to fit 2 queen-size air beds inside. Its height is 6 feet while it weighs 16.3 pounds.
This dome unit from Coleman has 20% more headroom than traditional dome units. It has a strong frame that can withhold up to 35 mph winds.
With their WeatherTec technology, you will be protected from the elements. The system includes welded corners and inverted seams.
It has one wide O-shaped door. You will be able to store your small items in mesh pockets and in a gear loft. Due to pre-attached poles, the tent will be ready in 5 minutes. It comes with a rain fly.
There are loops on the corners to hang a lantern or other devices. The floor is sturdy and double-stiched.
Family tent buying guide
A 5-person tent is perfect for a small group of friends or family who love spending time in nature.
Whether you are camping, hanging out on a beach, or even having a backyard party, a high-quality and spacious tent can make your experience worthwhile.
Camping place and season
Ask yourself where and when you will be outdoors because these factors count in what type of camping tent you will choose. Which model should you pick regarding the place and seasonality?
Let’s say that you are going to a remote place where thunderstorms are often. In this case, you should look for a 4-season model that is not just waterproof but also well-built and durable.
However, summer camping demands to have a 3-season tent that has plenty of mesh and ventilation options.
If you will be in nature only in nice weather then this model should be fine, nevertheless don’t hesitate to get an all-year model if you expect rainy and windy days. It must also have a good ventilation system. Other factors are preferences of you as an individual.
Which tent-style suits your family? Is it better to stay in a dome or a cabin tent? If you intend to have a weekend getaway then a dome model will be fine as it will offer space for sleeping and element protection.
Cabin style tent
However, if you want to take your family to a campground where you will camp for more days or a week or so, then a cabin tent is a wonderful idea. It is appropriate for luxury camping since it has vertical walls to move freely inside.
What should you look for in a tent?
If you expect to have bad weather then get a tent that will have waterproof and water-resistant features.
Pay special attention to this and also look for the double-layer unit that is well stitched, has factory-sealed seams, and rain fly. The material should be factory-coated for weather protection.
On the other hand, summer camping demands you to have a well-ventilated tent that will have good airflow.
In this case look for the mesh material (windows, doors, roof), and adjustable vents to let the fresh air in. A mesh roof is perfect for stargazing which is campers’ favorite activity. Do you love to stargaze?
Which is the best tent for a family of 5?
This question doesn’t have a single answer. First, ask yourself if the product will be spacious enough to fit all of you comfortably inside.
This is the most obvious factor when going outdoors with the family. If there won’t be enough room then your trip can easily end due to cranky campers.
How do I plan a family camping trip?
Planning a family camping trip can be frustrating if you don’t organize days before going outdoors. These are general rules when planning a family outdoor trip:
- Reserve your camping spot. If you will be staying in a campground then reserve your spot weeks before going to the destination.
- Check your tent. It would be really awkward when you realize that your tent is having a hole or is missing a part when you arrive at a campsite. Pitch it at home and check it to avoid any inconvenience.
- Think of all the necessities that family members will need. Consider double clothing, personal hygiene products, medications, a first-aid kit, waterproof shoes, food and water supplies, a raincoat, a hat, and gloves.
- Choose a room to put all of the camping essentials there. This is an important organizational step that will make sure you won’t forget something at home.
How do I keep my kids busy while camping?
Camping with kids can be a lot of fun however they can get tired and bored quickly if they aren’t entertained. The main goal here is to keep them occupied and happy. How to achieve this?
How I camped as a kid
When I was a kid I loved to explore the camp and its surroundings. It was exciting to watch the animals, finding a creak where I picked stones and hide among trees.
Occupy a toddler with daily tasks
Think of what entertains your toddler and keep him occupied all the time. Another tip is to include him to help around daily obligations like cooking, fishing, picking firewoods for a campfire, etc.
Camping is fun!
Games are also a wonderful way to forget boredness. Take his favorite board game to the trip and accompany him to the campground’s playground.
Use your imagination and think of fun things that you can do together (painting on creak stones, birdwatching, playing scavenger hunt, picking leaves for the herbarium, you name it).
How to camp with a toddler?
Camping with a toddler requires some extra time to prepare outdoor essentials. Make sure that he will stay safe and cozy all the time. The most important things are:
- Keep him warm by taking extra clothes.
- Don’t forget to take enough diapers and things such as baby powder and wet wipes.
- Take his favorite toy or a fairy tale book that he loves to listen to when you read to him
- Consider taking a baby stroller or any other baby furniture that will keep him in one place safe and sound when walking, cooking a meal, or preparing a campfire.
Get a spacious 5 man tent
It’s not hard to have a pleasant outdoor trip if you think of the most obvious essentials that you need for camping. I showed you the models that you definitely should check out to have a stress-free outdoor vacation.
Always have in mind the location, how long will you camp and what tent features do you need. Consider the best 5 person tents and decide which one will provide you enough space.