Are you looking for a camping tent that can occupy up to 5 people? Camping is no doubt an extremely fun outdoor activity, especially when spent with friends or family. It’s one of the best outdoor adventures you could do if you’re looking to take a break from a hectic workplace and spend time in nature.
Before you go on an adventure, you should have a proper tent that will suit your camping needs. While there are many types of tents available on the market today, the use of the appropriate one could give you a lot of advantage.
Before we jump in I should mention that some of the tents on my list are advertised for 6 people. I included them in the list of best 5 person tents because it is always better to have more space than less.
What is the best tent for a family of 5?
Because I know how frustrating it is to find the right tent for your needs, I listed my favorite to help you decide. Take your time to read their features, pros, and cons, and see which one of them suits you best.
Mobihome 6-person tent
- INSTANT QUICK UP TENT - Special hub system design for single operation - Up in seconds, down in a...
- DURABLE & VENTILATIVE - 190T polyester camping tent fly for 100% water proof; Sturdy, watertight PE...
- LIGHTWEIGHT & WATER-RESISTANT - Compact and portable family tent for easy setup; Water repellent...
- SPACIOUS & COMFORTABLE - Camping tent with spacious design offers enough room for 6 people to sleep...
- Ideal for 6 people tent is fully equipped with rainfly X 1, storage pocket X 4, side poles X 2,...
This Mobihome camping tent measures 35.4 x 9.1 x 9.1 inches and can occupy up to 6 people. You can fit 2 queen-size beds inside. The tent is made of Double Polyguard fabric while the fly is made of 68D 190T Polyester with 1500mm PU. The floor is PE watertight and made of 120G Polyethylene. The tent weighs 14.3 lbs and has a center height of 55″.
This is an instant quick setup tent which means you will be able to pitch it fast due to special hub system design. It has reinforced/heat sealed seams and fully taped rainfly. While it is a waterproof tent you will be able to have good ventilation in summer since it has plenty of mesh – on the roof, 3 windows and doors. The tent has a door extension as awning and dual zippered doors. This 3 season tent has a wind-resistant structure.
- Easy and quick setup
- Plenty of mesh
- Waterproof and wind-resistant
- Not appropriate to use in winter
- Poles are cheap
TOMOUNT 5 person tent
- ROOMY FOR 5 - HIKERGARDEN 5-person tent is the best family tent you will find. This Tent is very...
- EASY SETUP & SMOOTH ZIP - Easy Install in 8mins. It takes only a few simple steps to set up a...
- PROFESSIONAL WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF - By a professional water testing, HIKERGARDEN family tent's...
- VENTILATION & LIGHTWEIGHT - Get away from the city lights, and you are able to gaze at the Milky...
- HIKERGARDEN PROMISE: The electrical access port lets you run a cord from your device in the tent to...
This Tomount camping tent can accommodate up to 5 people and can fit 2 queen air mattresses or 5 sleeping bags inside. It is made of polyester that has a waterproof index of 4000 mm. The frame has redesigned poles which can withstand rainy and windy weather conditions.
Due to snag-free continuous pole sleeves, the setup will take you about 8 minutes. It features sturdy 2-way zippers. Its dimensions are 120 x 96 x 76 inches and it weighs 20.72 lbs. This model has large D-shape doors (with mesh), mesh windows and top mesh that take care of the ventilation. It also has an organization mesh pocket and an electrical access port.
- Spacious and sturdy
- Easy to set up
- Large doors
- The instructions could be better
- The floor could be thicker
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 5 Outfitter Tent
- Easy assembly with free-standing two-pole design, aluminum poles and pole clips that snap over tent...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage space
- Great ventilation and easy entry with mesh roof and two doors with zippered mesh windows
- Our Taurus Outfitter Series has 2 key upgrades: oversized #10 door zippers and a heavy duty nylon...
- Base Size: 8' x 10', Center Height: 72", Total Weight: 13 lbs. 5 oz., Minimum Weight: 12 lbs. 5 oz.
Another well-designed and quality tent I like is the Alps 5 person dome tent. It has natural muted colors that blend well with the environment.
The floor is made of 210D 110T Nylon Oxford (+ 1500 mm coating) that is longlasting and sturdy. The fly is made of 75D 185T polyester with 1500 mm coating. It measures 8’ x 10’ and has a center height of 6’. The total weight of this tent is 13 lbs. 5 oz.
It’s very easy to set up since it has a freestanding pole system that requires attaching pole clips to the 7000 series aluminum poles. Large #10 zippers enable smooth operation on doors and a vestibule. It has 2 doors and vestibules. Seams are factory sealed. Mesh roof vents take care of air circulation. The Taurus Outfitter also has a storage loft and 4 loops on each corner which you can use for drying clothes.
- Easy assembly (freestanding)
- Big thick rain fly covers the whole tent
- High-quality thick material
- Big zipper
- It’s not appropriate for usage where there is heavy wind
- It gets hot easily
Coleman Evanston 6-person screened tent
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen size air beds
- Separate screen room offers bug-free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Measures 10 x 9 feet with 5-foot 8-inch center height; screen room is 10 x 5 feet
- Sets up in 15 minutes with rainfly and carry bag included.Strong frame is tested to withstand 35+...
The Coleman Evanston is a high-quality shelter that can accommodate up to 6 people. You can fit 2 queen-size air beds inside. It is made of 75D polyester taffeta material. The inner tent measures 10 x 9 feet while the screen room is 10 x 5 feet. The height peak is 5-foot 8-inch. It weighs 21 lbs.
This Coleman tent with screen room has a WeatherTec system which will protect you in bad weather conditions due to patented welded floors and inverted seams. A rainfly offers additional weather protection. The floor features welding technology for anti-tear protection. It has awnings that enable ventilation without the rain getting inside the tent.
The setup is easy and due to snag-free, continuous pole sleeves and Insta-Clip pole attachments. You will be able to pitch it in about 15 minutes. The frame is wind resistant (it can hold up to 35+ MPH winds) since it has redesigned poles and guy-out triangles. The zippers and seams are protected. It has mesh pockets. Mesh roof and vents will take care of proper ventilation.
- Strong and durable
- WeatherTec system
- Easy to setup
- Comes with a screened room with mesh
- Ventilation could be better
- Not the best tent for cold weather
- The rain fly doesn’t cover the mesh coverings
CORE 6 Person Dome Tent
- Sleeps 6 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the tent floor
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
- 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: We strive for total satisfaction with all of our products.
This dome tent from CORE Equipment is made of polyester and can accommodate up to 6 people. The tent can fit 2 queen air mattresses. It measures 25 x 7 x 7 inches and weighs 12.72 pounds. It has a center height of 72’.
This CORE model features an H2O block technology which includes water repellent fabric, sealed seams, fully taped rainfly, rain-resistant door, and window seals. Adjustable air intake vents and mesh ceiling enable air circulation.
This 6-person tent has meshed gear loft for storing items and a lantern hook. It has electrical port access that can be closed when not in use. The tent has zippered privacy panels on both doors and windows.
- Nice design
- H2O Block Technology
- Not expensive
- The door zipper could be better
- The carry bag should be bigger
Camping for small families
A 5-person tent is perfect for a small group of friends or family who love spending time in nature. Whether you are camping, hanging out on a beach, or even having a backyard party, a high-quality and spacious tent can make your experience worthwhile.
My recommendation for you is to ask yourself where and when you will be camping because these factors count in what type of a camping tent you will choose.
Let’s say that you are going to a remote place where thunderstorms are often. In this case, you should look for a tent that is not just waterproof but also well-built and durable. However, summer camping demands to have a tent that has plenty of mesh and ventilation options.
What is the best tent for a family of 5?
This question doesn’t have a single answer. First, ask yourself if the tent will be spacious enough to fit all of you comfortably inside. This is the most obvious factor when going family camping. If there won’t be enough room then your trip can easily end due to the cranky campers.
I am sure that every family wants to have a nice camping adventure without any hassle about the weather. So, you should know if you will pick a 3 season or a 4 season tent. If you will camp only in nice weather then a 3 season camping tent should be fine, nevertheless don’t hesitate to get an all-year tent if you expect rainy and windy camping days.
The tent should also have a good ventilation system. Other factors are preferences of you as an individual camper.
How do I plan a family camping trip?
Planning a family camping trip can be frustrating if you don’t organize days before going outdoors. These are general rules when planning a family outdoor trip:
- Reserve your camping spot. If you will be camping in a campground then you should reserve your spot weeks before going to the destination.
- Check your camping tent. It would be really awkward when you realize that your tent is having a hole or is missing a part when you arrive at a campsite. Pitch your tent at home and check it to avoid any inconveniences.
- Think of all necessities that family members will need. Consider double clothing, personal hygiene products, medications, a first-aid kit, waterproof shoes, food and water supplies, a raincoat, a hat, and gloves.
- Choose a room to put all of the camping things there. This is an important organizational step that will make sure you won’t forget something at home.
How do I keep my kids busy while camping?
Camping with kids can be a lot of fun however they can get tired and bored quickly if they aren’t entertained. The main goal here is to keep them occupied and happy. How to achieve this?
When I was a kid I loved to explore the camp and its surroundings. It was exciting to watch the animals passing by me, finding a creak where I picked stones and hide among trees.
Think of what entertains your child and keep him occupied all the time. Another tip is to include him to help around daily obligations like cooking, fishing, picking firewoods for a campfire, etc.
Games are also a wonderful way to forget boredness. Take his favorite board game to the trip or enjoy at the campground’s playground. Nevertheless, use your imagination and think of fun things that you can do together (painting on creak stones, birdwatching, playing scavenger hunt, picking leaves for the herbarium, you name it).
How to camp with a toddler?
If you have a toddler in the family you should take care that he will stay safe and cozy all the time. The most important things are:
- Keep him warm by taking extra clothes.
- Don’t forget to take enough diapers and things such as baby powder and wet wipes.
- Take his favorite toy or a fairy tale book that he loves to listen when you read to him
- Consider taking a baby stroller or any other baby furniture that will keep him at one place safe and sound when you cook a meal or prepare a campfire.
It’s not hard to have a pleasant camping trip if you think of the most obvious essentials that you will need as a camping group. I showed you the best 5 person tents that you definitely should check out to have a stress-free outdoor vacation.