Before you go on a camping adventure, you should have a proper tent. While there are many models available on the market, picking the right one can be a challenging task.
Some tents on my list are advertised for 6 people. I included them on the list of the best 5 person tents because it is always better to have more space than less.
- ALPS Mountainerring Taurus Outfitter Tent – [Most Reliable Tent]
- CORE Instant Cabin Tent With Wall Organizer – [Best Instant Tent]
- NTK Indy GT XL – [Best Waterproof Tent]
- Browning Camping Big Horn Tent – [Best Cabin Tent]
- Moon Lance Tent – [Best Budget Tent]
- Eureka! Copper Canyon XL Tent – [Best 3-Season Tent]
- Coleman Evanston Tent With Screen Porch – [Best Screen Room Tent]
How to pick your winner from the list?
Is it better to camp in a dome or a cabin-style tent?
If you intend to have a weekend getaway then a dome model will be fine as it provides space for sleeping and element protection.
If you will camp in a campground for a longer period a cabin tent is a wonderful idea. It has vertical walls so you can walk freely inside the tent.
If you will camp in nice weather then a 3-season tent with plenty of mesh and wents will be your choice. Nevertheless don’t hesitate to get a durable all-year tent if you expect bad weather.
Check best 5 man tents of 2022 in more detail.
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 5 Outfitter Tent
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus is a freestanding tent that you won’t need to stake to have it standing.
This means that you will be able to move the assembled tent without dismantling it which comes in handy if you want to relocate it.
It is a well-made tent with a full-coverage rainfly and strong aluminum poles which makes it a decent cold weather tent that retains warmth.
However, it’s not appropriate to take along if you intend to camp in a humid location because it heats up pretty quick and can build condensation easily.
I like that it has two doors for easy access and two vestibules to store backpacks and other camping gear so you will have the tent’s interior free for sleeping comfortably.
With just one storage pocket you won’t be able to organize all your small essentials no matter that it has a gear loft as well.
It is a high dome tent (46″) that provides enough head height to sit, change clothes and move.
- Quality built
- Easy assembly & freestanding
- Holds the heat well
- Full-coverage rainfly
- 2 vestibules + 2 doors
- It gets hot easily (not for humid locations)
- No views
- Lacks inner pockets
CORE Instant Cabin Tent
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 6 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72".
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and large wall orgnaizer to keep items neat and off the tent...
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
- 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: We strive for total satisfaction with all of our products.
This CORE tent is for those who like to set up their shelter fast without the struggle of the pole assembly.
The poles of this instant tent are already stitched to the fabric so all you will have to do is to extend them to get a structure.
It is a tall tent where you will be able to walk inside (6′ high ceiling). This cabin tent is meant to use in the first three seasons as it has plenty of mesh, openings, and ground vents.
The shelter has a fly that covers only the meshed roof and is enough for normal rain. That being said, it’s not a model to take camping in harsh weather and cold temperatures.
The specialty of this CORE instant tent is that it has a large wall organizer which comes in handy as you can store your essentials neatly.
I saw that some tent users would like to see the process of dismantling it so here is a video that will help you to figure out how to take it down.
- Instant setup in minutes
- Good ventilation
- Large wall organizer
- Gear loft and a hook for a lantern
- Not meant for harsh weather
- The door zipper can get stuck easily
- The carry bag could be bigger
NTK Indy GT XL
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – Fully assemble and disassemble the Indy GT XL 5 - 6 person...
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY – Protect yourself from sunlight, rain, and humid weather with...
- BREATHABLE MICRO MESH – Featuring ultra-thin polyester micro-mesh fabric on all 3 sides and...
- LONG-LASTING & HEAVY DUTY – Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double gold...
- ALL-WEATHER PROTECTION – Partial silver coated rainfly deflects the heat keeping the tent fresher;...
NTK Indy has a different design than other tents on the list since it is built of a dome tent and a tunnel area. A dome tent serves for sleeping while you can sit and relax in the front space.
I like that the porch can be closed to have a weather-protected place (vestibule) for storing gear and shoes. This model has the biggest vestibule of reviewed tents so if you would love to have equipment separated from the sleeping area this is a good option to pick.
Some people complain that the sleeping area isn’t big enough for 6 men unless the company thought of the front area as well but the company highlighted that it can sleep up to 6 people.
If you will camp with kids you can still have enough space in the sleeping part of the tent.
The unit has good waterproof features as it includes a full-coverage rainfly, heavy-duty bathtub floor, quite high waterproof rating (2500mm), and snow flaps on the porch area.
No matter all these features, it is still a 3-season tent because a sleeping area has a lot of mesh.
You can have a big awning in front of the porch that will additionally protect the interior from getting wet while still having views of the surroundings.
- Good price
- Good waterproofness
- Large awning for weather protection
- Versatile use (vestibule or porch)
- Floored porch
- Not big enough for 6 adults to sleep in the dome area
- No detailed setup instructions
- No views with the rain fly on
- The floor of the separated room isn’t attached to the main fabric
Browning Camping Big Horn Tent
Consider the Browning Big Horn tent if you want luxury while camping. It is a cabin tent where you can put cots or an air mattress for sleeping comfortably.
It is a tall structure where you will walk straight but it is one of the heaviest tents on the list of best five-person tents so I don’t recommend it for backpacking.
It is a typical tent for the first three seasons as it got 4 mesh windows and a mesh roof for ultimate ventilation but I was surprised that it hasn’t got any vents.
Still, the mesh takes care that the air is circulating through the structure. It has a partial fly that covers the mesh roof and keeps you dry in case of rain.
The model has a small awning above the door and back window that won’t help you to have a dry entrance if the rain will fall from the side and you will have doors open.
- Stable & durable
- Hub design for an easy setup
- Tall center height
- Ultimate ventilation due to a lot of mesh
- Great views
- Without vents
- It isn’t appropriate to use in harsh weather
- On a heavier side
Moon Lance Dome Tent
- All-round protection: 190T PU material provides 1000mm water resistance and excellent UV resistance....
- Breathable & Stable: Large section of mesh and 1 D-shaped doors with dual zippers. A ground vent and...
- Easy to Setup：2 Shock Cord Connecting Poles with clips on tent make it easy to set the tent up....
- Brand Quality & Money Back Guarantee: We offer an unconditional 30-day money back guarantee and...
This is a typical 3 season dome tent that is one of the lightest tents on the list as it weighs only 9 pounds. It will be easier to carry than a Browning tent or other bigger tents.
If you are looking for a comfortable tall tent this is not for you but it can serve well for spending the night. This unit is a winner if you are searching for a budget-friendly tent that you will use occasionally.
Its waterproofness isn’t something to brag about (only 1000mm coating) but it can serve you well in nice weather and light rain. It has a fly that covers the upper mesh part of the tent.
The model has an awning that covers the front door so you can have open mesh on the door to let the air in when it rains.
There are 2 windows on the side and 2 small on the back for ventilation and views.
You won’t be able to put 6 men comfortably inside but it can be a shelter for a couple and kids.
- Appropriate for beginners
- Fast assembly
- Not enough capacity for 6 adults
- Not for avid campers
- Can’t handle bad weather with wind
Eureka! Copper Canyon LX Tent
Eureka! Copper Canyon is a great option if you intend to camp in the first three seasons comfortably. It is a cabin-style tent that provides plenty of headspace and breathability.
Brian from the Eureka! says that each of their models can accommodate the advertised number of occupants.
I can affirm that the Copper Canyon is livable and can occupy 6 men comfortably, leaving you space inside for gear if you intend to camp with four or fewer people.
It is quite a bright tent as it has a lot of windows and plenty of mesh that provides optimum ventilation and bug protection. The meshed roof is excellent for stargazing on a clear night sky.
Some users complain of a thin floor so I recommend using a tarp underneath the structure to protect it from tears and to prolong its lifespan.
The rain fly covers the upper part of the structure and the doors so you can leave a doorway unzipped a little bit to let the air in during the rain.
- Quality materials
- Great views
- Awning for dry entrance
- E-port for electricity cable
- Thin floor
- Not for harsh weather conditions
Coleman Evanston With Screen Porch
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 ft. Full-floor screen room
- Carry bag: Included for easy storage
- 1-year limited warranty
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers...
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
Are you a fan of tent porches? The Evanston unit is an extended dome tent that is perfect for fair weather camping as it has a screened porch for enjoying bug-free camping and having great views.
The Coleman Evanston 6 has a fly that covers the sleeping area, windows, and partially a porch.
It doesn’t cover the whole porch so have this in mind when storing gear as it can get wet, especially in the front of the room. However, you can put a tarp on it to protect the items inside.
I like how the fly makes the awnings over the windows so you can minimize condensation on a rainy camping day by leaving them open.
Even if the main tent won’t offer views you can still enjoy the surroundings and stargaze in the screened room.
Most campers can stand inside but if you are taller than 68 inches you won’t be able to stand straight.
- Great price for the value
- Easy setup
- Screened porch for views and relaxation
- The porch has a floor to avoid mud
- Awnings over the windows for rain protection and airflow
- Not for cold weather
- The porch is not fully covered
How do you plan a family camping trip?
Planning a family camping trip can be frustrating if you don’t organize in advance. These are some rules:
- Reserve your camping spot. If you will be staying in a campground then reserve your spot weeks before going to the destination.
- Check your tent. It would be really awkward to realize that your tent is having a hole or missing a part when you arrive at a campsite. Pitch it at home to avoid any inconvenience.
- Think of all the necessities that family members need. Consider double clothing, personal hygiene products, medications, a first-aid kit, waterproof shoes, food and water supplies.
- Choose a room to put all of the camping essentials there. This is an important organizational step that will make sure you won’t forget anything at home.
How do I keep my kids busy while camping?
Camping with kids can be fun however they get tired and bored quickly if they aren’t entertained. Our goal is to keep them occupied.
How I camped as a kid
When I was a kid I loved to explore the camp and its surroundings. It was exciting to watch the animals, finding a creak where I picked stones and hide among trees.
Occupy a toddler with daily tasks
Think of what entertains your kid and keeps him occupied. Include him to help around daily obligations like cooking, fishing, picking firewoods for a campfire, etc.
Camping is fun!
Camping games are a great way to forget boredness. Take his favorite board game to the trip and accompany him to the campground’s playground.
Use your imagination and think of fun things that you can do together (painting on creak stones, birdwatching, playing scavenger hunt, picking leaves for the herbarium, you name it).
Choose your 5 person tent
It’s not always easy to find the perfect tent for your family, but my list of best 5 person tents will help you narrow down the options.
I recommend a few different brands and models, as well as provide tips on how to size up so you know which model is right for your specific camping needs.