Are you ready to go camping in a group or take your family on an outdoor adventure? Do you need a spacious tent that will protect you from the elements?
There are many great options when it comes to 6 person tents, and I have compiled some of the best ones for you.
So whether you are looking for something basic or something more luxurious, we have got you covered. Check the best 6 person tents and find the perfect camping tent for your next getaway.
- Big Agnes Bunk House Camping Tent
- Coleman WeatherMaster 6-Person Tent with Screen Room
- ALPS Mountaineering Camp Creek Tent
- MOON LENCE Camping Tent
- Timber Ridge Instant Camping Tent
- CAMPROS Camping Tent
- The North Face Wawona Tent
- CORE Instant Cabin Tent with Wall Organizer
- Kelty Rumpus Tent
- TETON Sports Mesa Canvas Tent
How to choose the best 6 man tents?
A 6-person tent should have space for at least 6 sleeping bags. It will be comfier if you will camp with kids than putting six adults in the tent.
Choose a 3 season model if you won’t camp in winter, otherwise, it’s better to have a 4 season tent that will protect you from cold.
A dome is the most common tent shape nowadays. It is perfect for camping in windy conditions due to its low structure, however, it won’t serve you well if you need more headspace.
Cabin tents are heavier and meant for base camping. The wind is not their best friend as they are tall, but you can walk inside due to its vertical tent walls.
Still, buying one can be difficult, so to make it easier, I have analyzed the next six-person tents in detail.
Big Agnes Bunk House Tent
- SPACIOUS! – The Bunk House is a spacious family or group tent with an oversized, pole-supported...
- SHELTER MODE – Pitch it as a covered shelter using just the fly, poles and included webbing...
- FULL FEATURED –Two removable corner bin pockets are great for stashing all sorts of sundries. Also...
- READY TO PITCH - Pre-cut guy lines and tensioners attached to fly. Reflective guy lines and webbing...
- Select a size to see volume and dimensions
The bunk house tent from Big Agnes could be an outdoor shelter for you if you want full weather protection in the first three seasons, a separate space for storing gear, and a place for relaxing.
This 6 person tent comes in two layers; the mesh inner tent body and the outer polyester material that covers the tent body. You have two doors on an inner tent for easier access.
The model has two vestibules; the rear one that is smaller (19ft²) and the front one that is spacious (37ft²) to store camping equipment, relax on a chair, and is a perfect place for a dog to spend the night.
The front vestibule doors can be used as an awning to have shade. The company included a welcome mat so the dirt will stay out of the tent.
What I like the most in this model is its versatile use as the fly can be used as a canopy which is great to use for warm-weather camping.
The dome sleeping tent provides a lot of space in general and has a good height (81″). It has an interesting door that allows most of the campers to access the tent standing.
The model has a full fly design that provides protection from rain and wind. I like that a front vestibule has flaps that prevent the elements from getting inside.
This is good news if you will camp with a dog as he will be comfier this way but make sure you place something on the ground if you will camp in the inclement weather because the vestibule is not floored.
Instead, you can buy the original footprint for it and solve the problem.
The fly makes a gap to get some air in the tent. If you use guy lines you will get ground vents that will increase the airflow.
- All-weather three-season tent
- Versatile use
- Two vestibules
- An awning
- Vestibule flaps
- Welcome mat
- Not meant for cold temperatures
- No floor in vestibules
Coleman WeatherMaster Tent
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen-size airbeds
- Separate floorless screen room offers bug-free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Measures 11 x 9 feet with 6-foot 8-inch center height; Screen room measures 9 x 6 feet
- Rainfly and expandable carry bag included
This Coleman 6 person tent is a well-made three-season tent with a screen room. So, if you want to enjoy summer camping on the porch, this might be a unit for you.
It features convenient hinged doors in the front that provide easier access without messing with zippers which is great for kids that jump in and out of the tent.
Zippers are quality and can be opened with one hand. There is another door at the back that is not hinged.
Coleman WeatherMaster provides optimum ventilation with the internal meshing on the ceiling and easily opened mesh windows.
The opening placed at the bottom that Coleman calls the ‘Cooler Access’ takes care of additional airflow and keeps condensation in control.
This is a Coleman tent that has a separated screen room attached (9 x 6 feet) which is a covered entry leading to the main tent.
It gives a place for activities and bug-free lounging after the meal. It can get wet in case of rain because the fly doesn’t cover the walls of the tent body (just the roof).
You can have two rooms using a divider placed zips in the middle, which makes it perfect for a family to have some privacy.
It is a tall extended dome tent as it has a 6-foot 8-inch center height so you will stand inside (unless you are very tall).
- Made of high-quality materials
- Hinged door for easy access
- Strong zippers
- E-port access
- Detachable screen floor
- A screened section is not fully protected from the rain
- The solid sheet doesn’t zip completely to the floor
ALPS Mountaineering Camp Creek Tent
- Easy setup with unique hub design and pole clips that quickly snap over the fiberglass tent poles
- Extra tall center and straight side walls allow more room for cots and ability to stand up
- Weatherproof fly adds large awnings over front doorway and back window
- Fully equipped with mesh storage shelf, stakes, guy ropes and four large windows
- Base Size 10' x 10' Center Height 84", Total Weight 22 lbs 11 oz., Color Charcoal/Blue
This Alps Mountaineering 6 person tent is a cabin camping tent that provides enough headspace for your comfort.
It has almost vertical walls which give a great standing space for more livability than you’d normally have from a typical dome tent.
When it comes to the design, you will enjoy its 4 large mesh windows with panels and a big front door giving a great view and ventilation. The meshed ceiling is perfect for stargazing in clear skies.
The fly ads small awnings in the front of the door and back window to prevent the rain from getting inside but I don’t see them functional in case the rain falls from the side in the direction of the opening.
With the 1500mm hydrostatic head, it is a 3-season camping tent that will protect you from light to normal rain. So, don’t take this tent on winter camping or camping when you expect rainstorms with the wind.
Consider wind on your trip because this is a tall structure that can get damaged due to the wind pressure so if you expect wind gusts or a storm this might not be a unit that can handle such weather situations.
A customer experienced a damaged guy line mounting point on the rain fly due to the wind so bear this in mind before going camping.
The tent’s floor is thin so I recommend using a footprint for this model to avoid tears and to prolong the unit’s lifespan.
- Easy to set up
- Nearly vertical walls to stand inside
- Good ventilation system
- Extra storage shelf for organization
- Bright interior
- Not comfortable for 6 men
- A bit pricier than other models of the same kind
- Thin bottom
Moon Lance Dome Tent
- All-round protection: 190T PU material provides 1000mm water resistance and excellent UV resistance....
- Breathable & Stable: Large section of mesh and 1 D-shaped doors with dual zippers. A ground vent and...
- Easy to Setup：2 Shock Cord Connecting Poles with clips on tent make it easy to set the tent up....
- Brand Quality & Money Back Guarantee: We offer an unconditional 30-day money back guarantee and...
The Moon lance 6 person tent comes in a dome shape and has one D-shaped entrance. If you lack some money but still want to go camping this is one of the budget tents to consider.
It is one of the affordable tents that has a two-layer fabric. It comes with a fly that covers half of the tent, making two small awnings above the door and rear window for rain protection.
However, its waterproof coating is just 1000mm so you can’t use it in heavy rain as it is a high chance that it will leak.
The inner layer has mesh on the sides and on two semi-circle windows on the back that provide ventilation. A ground vent on the back is included to let the air in from the ground.
It is the lightest tent among the 6 person tents on the list so it is easier to carry than a Timber Ridge tent or Kelty Rumpus tent.
No matter that it is advertised for 6 men it won’t fit six adults comfortably. However, this is an affordable tent that can fit adults and kids, so have this in mind before buying.
This dome tent has a standard setup that will take about 5 minutes.
- Easy to assemble
- Optimum ventilation
- Lightweight to carry
- Not comfortable for 6 adults
- Not for heavy rain
Timber Ridge Instant Tent
- Capacity: This 6 person instant tent base measures 10x10 feet, center height 78 inches, sleeps 6...
- No Assembly Required: Quick open system instant tent, easy and quick set up in less than 10 minutes,...
- Ventilation: This 6 person instant tent designed with 3 zippered large mesh roll up windows to have...
- Convenient: This 6 man tent designed with 1 O-shaped door for easy entry and exit. Also designed...
- Versatile: As a very practical family tent, it can brings you a perfect experience in your outdoor...
Timber Ridge instant cabin tent is meant for those who like to be a tall tent that is ready in minutes.
With its nearly vertical walls, it has 78 inches of center height, providing occupants with the height appropriate to move while standing.
The model is an instant-setup tent which means you will have your shelter ready in minutes due to the pre-attached fiberglass poles.
There are three semi-circled mesh windows (a window on each side), meshed roof, and an O-shape door for airflow and minimizing condensation.
Regarding the weather protection, it has a rain fly that covers the upper part of the structure and makes a small awning above the door to keep the entrance dry in the rain.
A bathtub floor of this car camping tent prevents the groundwater to get in.
It is an obvious 3-season tent that won’t give you protection from the cold, so don’t take it winter camping.
This 6 person tent fits a full-size air mattress, camp cot, and a kid’s cot normally.
- Good price
- Instant setup
- High ceiling for comfort
- Breathable (also with a fly on)
- Thick bathtub floor for groundwater protection
- Door awning
- A doormat
- Not comfortable for 6 adults
- Not for high winds
- Not for winter camping
Campros Instant Camping Tent
This is an extended dome tent that has pre-attached steel fiber reinforced polymer tent poles for a hassle-free setup that will take you about 5 minutes to get ready with extra hands to help.
It is a bright 6 person tent with plenty of mesh material (4 windows and a ceiling) and a D-shaped door that enhances breathability on hot nights. I didn’t find its waterproof rating as the company didn’t state it in the description.
This is the best tent to use in the first three seasons of the year due to the quantity of mesh and fly that covers only the mesh roof.
It is a tall tent that is comfortable for 4 adults and a kid or two. With 78 inches in height, most campers will stand inside but if you are taller you will have to bend a little.
- Good price
- Instant setup
- Electrical access port
- Not big enough for 6 men to camp comfortably
- Not for storms and cold temperatures
The North Face Wawona Tent
- Hybrid double-wall construction and a large mesh front door for superior ventilation
- Massive interior height lets you stand comfortably or sit in chairs inside the tent and vestibule
- Large vestibule can be used to store gear or as an additional seating area
- DAC MX pole set is stronger without any weight penalty
- Color-coded poles and trims make setup simple
If you will bring lots of gear along then this 6 person tent might be your perfect pick.
The Wawona model from the North Face is an extended dome tent ready to take camping in spring, summer, and fall under all-weather conditions.
The hybrid tent is built of a dome tent for sleeping and a large vestibule where you relax, and store the bags and other essentials that you don’t need beside you while you sleep.
A vestibule is an appropriate place for dogs to spend the night but place a dog bed or something warm on the ground if there will be cold.
The sleeping area has plenty of mesh to provide air circulation and better sleep. I don’t see how 6 campers fit inside comfortably but children should fit in with their parents.
I thought that some campers can sleep in the vestibule area but it is floorless so this isn’t a good option in case of rain (unless you place a footprint or a tarp as protection).
Storing gear in the vestibule is also questionable because it can get wet or damaged. However, placing a tarp under the shelter can solve this issue.
The company sells the footprint for Wawona so order it to enhance your camping experience and prolong the tent’s life.
The structure has two doors on the vestibule (one on each side) and two internal mesh doors to access the sleeping tent.
Some users would like to have a panel through the mesh door that leads to the vestibule to have more warmth in the sleeping room.
- All-weather three-season unit
- Good ventilation
- Tall peak height
- Plenty of doors
- Full-coverage fly
- Large vestibule (porch option)
- Vents open from the outside
- Not appropriate for camping in colder temperatures
CORE Instant Cabin Tent With Wall Organizer
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 6 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72".
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and large wall orgnaizer to keep items neat and off the tent...
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
- 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: We strive for total satisfaction with all of our products.
This is a Core instant cabin tent that will pitch in a minute as it has pre-attached poles.
Its special feature is a large wall organizer where you will store all of your small essentials and gadgets.
This model has the most storage options that I have ever seen in a tent so if you pack a lot of small items you can have them neatly stored on the backside of the tent.
With three mesh windows, mesh ceiling, ground vents, and doors it is a well-ventilated structure so it’s the best tent to use in warm temperatures. The rain fly covers the roof to protect the interior space from the rain.
I was searching for its waterproof level but the manufacturer didn’t provide it on their site, neither was found on Amazon. However, it is a three-season tent so it should withstand normal rain with some wind.
A customer complained that the sand came in through those big vents on the ground so this is one of the 6 person tents that’s not the best choice for desert camping as they are meant to be staked out.
It is a tall structure with near-vertical walls; if you are 6 feet tall or less you will still be able to walk normally inside.
- Good price
- Instant setup (minute or two)
- Breathable due to the mesh
- Large wall organizer for item storage
- E-port access for electricity cable
- Expendable storage bag for easier tent storage
- Not suitable for cold weather
- Sand can get in through the ground vents
Kelty Rumpus Tent
- Kelty Quick Corners for lightnin’-fast setup
- Extra-large vestibule for chairs, gear, dogs, bikes and more
- Pre-attached guylines with storage pocket
- Pre-attached guylines with storage pocket
- Shark-mouth carry bag for quick and easy pack-up
This is an extended dome shape tent from the Kelty that comes with a big vestibule that can also serve you as a porch.
So, if you want to have gear separated from the sleeping area, this freestanding tent might be the right choice.
I like the Rumpus 6 person tent because it has a good height (76″), two separate covered places to store gear, and a full-coverage rainfly for bad weather protection.
The inner tent has two doors for easy access. More than half of the unit is covered by mesh so the sleeping area is well-ventilated and very bright.
There are roof vents and a gap between the fly and inner tent so you will have airflow even with the fly on.
The Kelty Rumpus is one of the brightest family camping tents with the fly off but it lacks privacy due to lots of mesh. This could be a small issue if you will be staying in a camp.
A front vestibule door can be rolled up to have views of the surroundings or can be staked out to have an awning which gives you extra space to place chairs and a table to relax. If you will take a dog camping, he can spend the night here.
No matter that it has a full-coverage fly, don’t use this car camping tent in cold temperatures because the inner tent is made mostly of mesh.
Protect your tent’s floor and prolong the tent’s lifespan by getting the Kelty Rumpus footprint.
- Reliable weather protection
- Good ventilation
- Very bright with the fly off
- Two doors (inner tent)
- Two vestibules
- Lacks privacy with the fly off
- Not appropriate for cold temperatures
Teton Sports Mesa Canvas Tent
- STAY DRY AND KEEP COOL: Waterproof canvas is breathable for the best all-season protection and...
- HOME AWAY FROM HOME: Roomy tent has extra-high ceilings; Large awning protects the entry of the...
- EXTRA WIDE DOORS: First of its kind, oversized doors allow you to move your camping gear in and out...
- QUICKER, EASIER SET UP: Family tent has a quick and easy setup; Push down the top bar, put the pins...
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or...
Last but not least, here is the Teton Sports Mesa tent which is the only all-weather tent on the list. So, if you will camp throughout the year, this model is a winner.
The most impressive feature that this unit has is its waterproofness as it is made of heavy-duty canvas material that protects from precipitation and leaks.
This cabin-style tent has two extra-wide doors for easy access. The front doors have an awning that you can use for shade or rain protection.
This 6 person tent is appropriate to use in dessert because of the thick and sturdy tent fabric that won’t let the sand in. Put the awning down if desert camping so the sand won’t ruin your mood.
Big windows and top vents increase the airflow and make camping comfortable.
It is a typical car camping tent as it is quite heavy (71lbs) so it isn’t meant for backpacking or carrying for a long distance. If camping with your partner and kids it can be comfortable.
- Perfect year-round tent
- Overall high quality
- Thick durable floor
- Two wide doors
- Awning for sun and rain protection
- E-port for charging devices
What is the best 6 person tent?
The Big Agnes Bunk House is the best 6 person tent to have if you want to be in a versatile tent that provides full protection in the first three seasons.
I like it because it has plenty of setup options and space to stay comfortable. This attractive family camping tent has two vestibules to store the gear and wet shoes.
I didn’t see a canopy option in other camping tents so this is an outdoor model that should meet your camping expectations.
It’s a bit pricey but if you consider all the features that you get with this car camping tent the price is excusable. As it is one of the most durable 6 person tents, you should use it for years.
Which is the best 6 person tent with a vestibule?
The North Face Wawona tent is the best 6 person tent if you want to store your camping equipment in the separated vestibule space.
This extended dome tent has two vestibules; one in the front and one in the back.
The front one is larger as it has 44.7 sq ft of space while the smaller one has 21 sq ft of space for storing different kinds of gear and shoes.
It is one of the special 6 person tents as you can store your bike inside the bigger vestibule to protect it from elements and possible thieves.
What is the best 6 person family camping tent?
The Coleman WeatherMaster is the best 6 person tent if going family camping in the first three seasons. With the option of having two rooms, your family members will have privacy for relaxing.
There are hinged doors in the front that ease the access of the tent which is nice if you have small kids who are not happy about using the tent zippers all the time, so this is a good feature to have.
The screen room is excellent for bug-free lounging, eating, or even sleeping on hot days since the mesh provides enough airflow.
This Coleman tent has good element protection and friendly tent features that will provide enough reasons to have pleasurable family car camping trips with the people you love.
How big is a 6 person cabin tent?
The basic size of a 6 person cabin-style tent is approximately fifteen feet long and seven feet wide.
However, like other six-person tents, many brands will list their product size as “approx.” which means that the actual length and width may vary slightly.
What is the average size of a 6 man tent?
The average size of a 6 man camping tent is about 12 x 10 feet. Still, the size of the 6 person tents varies so it is best to do your research before buying one.
The most important thing to consider is the number of people that will be inside the tent with their sleeping gear and the space where you will store the camping equipment.
Does a 6 person tent fit 6 people?
In most cases, a 6 person tent can fit six people but it can be a crowded tent, without having space for gear storage, personal belongings, and organizing camping furniture.
This 6 person tent can be a solution if they need to spend a night in a shelter to be protected from the elements.
Is a 6-person tent too big for 2 people?
A 6 person tent can be great for two if they are going car camping and want to have comfort. They will be able to sleep, organize and store a lot of their belongings in the tent.
However, a 6 person tent is going to be really big for two people who want to backpack and hike. It creates unnecessary weight and takes up space in their packs. That extra weight will make the hike harder.
A 2 person backpacking tent is better for them because they will be able to carry it on their back instead of having to lug around a heavy 6-person tent.
Will a 6 person tent fit a queen air mattress?
The answer to this question depends on several factors including the exact make, model, and brand of the family camping tent.
When trying to fit a queen-sized air mattress into a six-person tent it is important to understand how much room there is between your head and your feet and between the sidewalls of the tent.
If you have more than six inches between your head and your feet and enough space on either side of the queen air mattress, then it is possible that a six-person tent will fit the mattress.
Pick your favorite 6 person camping tent
Camping with those who mean the most to you is the best thing you can do to re-connect and enjoy nature’s tranquility.
Whether you’re a family or just friends looking to get away from the city for a little while, camping is an excellent way to do so.
While it’s important that your tent is comfortable and spacious enough for everyone in the group, this list of the best 6 person tents will make choosing one much easier.
Consider my tips for choosing your winner and pick one of the top six-person tents to have an amazing outdoor getaway.
Which of these camping tents would work for your needs or interests right now?