Are you planning to go on a camping trip? If so, consider buying a high-quality backpacking tent. There are different factors when choosing this type of tent.
A tent should be compact, lightweight and fit perfectly in a tiny stuff sack. The ideal weight of a two-person tent for backpacking should be less than 6 pounds.
Look for the tent features. Each of them has its own pros and cons so you decide which fits you best.
Best Backpacking Tents in 2019
MSR Hubba Hubba nx 2 person backpacking tent
- 3-season, 2-person backpacking tent that offers the most livable accommodations in a lightweight...
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches,...
- Complete setup weighs 3. 9 lbs. and packs down to 18x6 inches; minimalist setup option uses...
- Includes DuraShield Coating and DAC Featherlike NFL poles
- Includes tent, one unified hub-and-pole system, rainfly, stakes, and guy lines; footprint sold...
The first one on the list is one of the most adaptable tents you can find. It is a 3 season tent that can accommodate 2 people.
This freestanding tent has 29 square feet floor and 39 inches of center height. Unified hub-and-pole system and color-coded clips enable an easy setup. Its vestibules provide 17.5 square feet of extra space for storing your gears.
The tent is made of 20-denier ripstop nylon and 15-denier nylon mesh. It has DuraShield Coating and DAC Featherlite NFL poles for rain and wind protection. This tent is one of the lightest since it weighs 3.5 pounds when pitched so I am sure you will like it as a backpacker.
Mountainsmith Morrison 2 Person Tent
- Two door / Two vestibule layout
- Two person layout
- Three season, fre standing tent
- Tent fly ventilation windows
- Bathtub floor construction
This freestanding 3 season tent can accommodate 2 people. Tent material is made of breathable 185T polyester. The floor material is 190T polyester with polyurethane coating of 5.000mm. It has a rainfly that is made of 185T polyester with 2.000mm polyurethane coating.
The tent has an aluminum V-stakes that stabilize the tent no matter how harsh the weather is. It has a tent fly with adjustable ventilation windows. You will like the reflective guy lines that have tension lock cord adjustment which improves performance and durability during bad weather.
It has 35 square feet of interior space and weighs 4lbs and 12oz. It is easy to set up, has dual vestibules and doors. The mesh storage pockets and ceiling loft pocket enable that your gears remain organized and easily accessible. You can easily separate the tent into two parts for privacy.
ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1 Person Tent
- There's no assembly frustration with our Lynx tent Series; This free-standing, aluminum two-pole...
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding one vestibule for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, stakes, guy ropes and one doorway
- The Alps Mountaineering Lynx tent is on our best sellers list; it’s a must-have for your next...
- Base size: 2'8 x 7'6, center height: 36", total weight: 4 lbs. 1 oz. , minimum Weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz....
This freestanding 2-pole tent design is for solo hikers. The tent is made of mesh and water-resistant fabric with taped-up seams. D-shaped side door is made of mesh and rolls out if you want to keep it open.
This ALPS tent has an additional 10 square feet vestibule that has a storm flap and a zipper that comes with Velcro tabs. It has a water-resistant polyester fly that also protects from UV. The tent comes with aluminum poles.
Walls are mostly made of mesh that helps improve ventilation. It has 75D 185T Polly Taffeta floor with 2000mm coating that will keep you dry when the weather gets bad.
Eureka! Apex 2XT 2 Person Tent
- Eureka!'s versatile three-season tent assembles easily, with a freestanding fiberglass frame...
- Durable waterproof fabric, a bathtub floor with sealed floor seams, and a full coverage fly provide...
- Two opposing, extra-large, D-shaped doors provide easy access to the interior from either side.
- Keep gear organized with the interior side and corner pockets; includes a polyester footprint to...
- Sleeps two people; measures 7 feet 4 inches by 4 feet 4 inches (floor) and 3 feet 7 inches tall at...
This freestanding 3 season tent is appropriate for 2 people. It weighs 6lb, 6 oz. and has 3 feet and 7 inches of center hight. The tent fly and floor are made of 75D nylon. It features fiberglass poles.
If you love stargazing, then you will love its setup. It has waterproofed walls with a mesh that will keep you comfortable during hot temperatures. The tent has a factory-seamed, bathtub floor.
It comes with a clothesline and a flashlight loop, 2 doors and windows, pole, and twin track zippers. Two mesh gear pockets are perfect for storing your belongings.
Coleman Hooligan 2 person camping dome tent
This is one of the best backpacking tents for rain that is non-freestanding and can occupy up to 2 people. It features a fully coated polyester fly, the sealed fly seems and a rugged 1000D polyethylene floor. Its welded seams offer leakage protection.
Setup is quick due to a single pole and pin-and-ring system. Mesh and zippered back vent take care of ventilation. The frame is made of Shock-corded fiberglass. This model weighs 7lbs and 3 oz.
The rain fly is full coverage but isn’t the easiest to assemble. It has a little front vestibule that offers storage space for your gear. The mesh is good for ventilation and watching the stars at night.
If you plan backpacking in a place known for its wet climate, make sure to pick a tent that has a vestibule that will protect your camping gear from the rain and morning dew.
A backpacking tent mostly comes equipped with one to three poles. As I have already mentioned that a perfect hiking tent is always light in weight, it is obvious that it is better to have less poles because they are usually the bulkiest part of a tent.
Freestanding tents are more flexible compared to the non-freestanding ones and are easier to pitch and move.
A hiking tent can have aluminum or fiberglass poles. Aluminum poles are lighter and stronger compared to the fiberglass. They are sturdy enough to last for years while fiberglass can easily break.
They don’t break even when extreme pressure is applied. You’ll actually need to put in a serious effort to break them.
Fiberglass tent poles are cheaper than aluminum and can crack easily if they are exposed to pressure. They will not corrode. These poles aren’t appropriate for frequent backpackers and campers since they aren’t so durable as aluminum poles.
If you are going camping in summer, opt for a tent with mesh walls. They will provide air circulation and protect you from bugs. However, if going camping in winter, buy a tent with solid walls. This one won’t allow cold mountain breezes to reach you.
There’s no use of buying a backpacking tent if it’s not of high quality. If you have a good one it will withstand extreme weather conditions.
If you don’t have a tent yet, consider buying one of the best backpacking tents on the market. Quality shouldn’t be a question for you if you want to enjoy on a camping trip.
When choosing a tent, ask yourself where will you be camping and which tent can satisfy your needs. Never choose a cheap one no matter how good it looks because you will regret it.