Are you going outdoors but you don’t have shelter yet? If you like light packing and carrying nothing but a few necessities, choosing one of the best bivy tents is a perfect option.
They are great for spending the night in nature but they won’t offer you the luxury that comes with some other bigger models.
These ones are ideal for outdoor adventure as you can have a lightweight shelter ready in a few minutes. If you will go hiking or camping in normal weather this shelter should do the work.
How does it looks? Do you know how bivies look like? They look like sacks and people use in mountains where they must set a shelter fast.
A Bivy tent is like an upgraded bivy. It is basically a tent so if you are using it you have a shelter with a roof. I invite you to take a look at top models that will satisfy you as a solo adventurer.
Best Bivy Tents On Amazon [2021 Updated]
|Outdoor Research Helium Bivy Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Snugpak Stratosphere 1-Person Bivy Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|World Famous Sports 1-Person Bivy Tent with Rain Fly||Check price on Amazon|
|Winterial 1-Person Bivy Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Eureka! Solitaire 1-Person Bivy Tent||Check price on Amazon|
Features of the Top Bivvy Tents
These are meant for outdoor enthusiasts who want to go to a solo adventure. If you are thinking of getting one you are probably going to hike and you need a lightweight shelter that won’t burden you on the trail.
Choosing the right bivouac tent for your needs can be tricky. So, to make things easier for you, check their features and decide which fits you the most.
Outdoor Research Helium Bivy
- Award-winning for its ultralight prowess, made even lighter.
- Delrin Single-Pole System. Reflective Logo and Trims. Sleeping Pad Straps.
- Two Stake Loops. One Guy Line Loop. High Volume Toe End. Clamshell Opening.
- Waterproof, breathable, ultra lightweight. Fully Seam-Taped. Durable, No-See-Um Mesh.
- Weight: With Pole: 16.8oz/476g. Without Pole: 14.7oz/418g.
The Outdoor Research Helium model is one of the lightest bivy tents produced by this company.
With a breathable and waterproof Pertex Shield plus fabric with a Hydroseal anti-fungal floor, the company boasts its clamshell design that can handle adventures regardless of the weather.
Its dimensions are 26 x 87 x 20 inches and is 4″ high and 7″ wide. This model has fully-taped seams and pole sleeves.
Snugpak Stratosphere Bivvi Shelter
- Inner dimensions are 91 inches long, 32 inches wide, and 20 inches tall; built to accommodate just 1...
- Lightweight and compact pack size is 12 inches long by 5 inches wide, it weighs 2.5 pounds; stands...
- Top fabric is 50D nylon Rip-Stop with 5000 millimeter waterproof polyurethane coating; bottom fabric...
- Features a rollaway No-See-Um mosquito net in the spacious head canopy; back mesh section offers...
- A basic repair kit is included; contains metal pole repair sleeve, tent guide rope tensioner, spare...
This ultra-light Snugpak shelter is one of the best bivy tents you can find on the market. Its dimensions are 91 x 32 x 20 inches and it weighs 2.5 pounds.
It is made of 50D nylon Rip-Stop with 5000-millimeter waterproof polyurethane coating. The bottom fabric is made of 210T nylon with an 8000-millimeter waterproof polyurethane coating.
This unit has No-See-Um mesh with mosquito mesh. It features a full-length side zip and spacious head canopy. It has waterproof seams and aluminum poles. This is wind and a waterproof tent that stands up against the bad weather.
World Famous Sports 1-Person Bivy Tent
- 7.7' x 3.2' x 2', sleeps 1
- Mesh roof panel
- Includes rain cover, storage bags, and stakes
- Compact and lightweight
- 1500mm coated body, 1000mm denier polyethylene flooring and taped seams, with shock corded...
This model is a budget-friendly model for 1 person. Its dimensions are 93 x 24 x 38 inches and it weighs 2.79 pounds. The floor is made of 1000 mm denier polyethylene and has a 1500 mm coated body.
Its features shock-corded fiberglass poles and taped-seams. A mesh roof panel provides ventilation and stargazing. This World Famous Sports tent has a full rainfly with stakes for its stability.
Winterial Bivouac Tent
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Single Person Tent with Two Hoop Easy To Assemble Bivy Tent
- PERFECT FOR HIKING AND BACKPACKING: Bivy Tent Sleeps One Person take it with you on any trip
- 3 SEASON TENT: Ventilated Roof Mesh With a Full Coverage Rain Fly for Colder/Rainy Weather
- LIGHT WEIGHT: Packed weight: 3 pounds 3 ounces. Packed Size: 18" x 4.5" x 4" Open Dimensions: 38 x...
- ACCESS: Large Zippered door for easy access. Includes 3 bundles of rope and 14 Heavy Duty Stakes To...
This Winterial unit is easy to assemble shelter with 2 hoops. It is a 3-season tent that has a ventilated mesh roof and comes with a full-covered rainfly. If you intend to camp or hike in warm weather this one will serve you well.
Its dimensions are 38 x 28 x90 inches and it weighs 3 pounds and 3 ounces. Entering the tent is easy due to a large zippered door. It features 3 bundles of strong cord and 14 heavy-duty stakes for security. Poles are aluminum.
Eureka! Solitaire Bivy Tent
- 2 hoop bivy-style tent
- Durable 6.3 mm fiberglass frame is shock corded for fast set up
- Pole pockets on one end; ring and pin on the other speed set up
- Nylon pole sleeves aid in set up and stability
- 3 storm guy outs on fly
This 3 season bivy tent has 21.5 square feet space and weighs 2 pounds and 10 ounces.
The floor and fly are made of 70D nylon taffeta while walls are made of 40D no-see-um mesh. It has a durable two-pole 6.3-millimeter fiberglass frame with easy post-and-grommet assembly.
The Solitaire model has 2 storage pockets, a flashlight loop, and a small vestibule for storage. It has a shock-corded fiberglass frame. Its interior height is 2 feet.
Most tents for bivouacking are made from hard-wearing and durable fabric. They are waterproof but still breathable. These shelters don’t easily create moisture or form condensation while being outdoors.
Portability and Functionality
The best feature of these units is their portability and lightweight. Some of them have armholes and interior straps that will keep you warm on the coldest evening.
What is a bivy tent?
It is a shelter similar to a bivy sack however it has a roof like tents. Bivies were made for climbers to have a quick shelter in the mountains.
However, bivy tents are made for solo hikers and backpackers who want to carry an easy backpack but still have a quality and secure shelter for themselves.
Why is it called a bivvy?
It is a short name for bivouac that is a French word. It ultimately derives from Swiss-German usage of beiwacht from the 18th century. It was an additional watch with military or civilian force to increase vigilance.
What’s the difference between a tent, a bivvy, and a bivy tent?
A bivy sack is a temporary shelter that is used for spending the night when solo hiking or backpacking. It is like a sleeping bag. A bivy tent is like a bivy sack but it also has a roof like tents.
It gives a more secure shelter when being outdoors. Bivies are made for a solo outdoorsman, however, tents come in different shapes and sizes and are made for different occasions.
Are bivy sack warmer than tents?
I can say that a bivy sack (bivy bag) gets warmer faster than a typical tent or a bivy tent. However, they are not as comfy as tents and aren’t appropriate for claustrophobic people.
Look for the 3 Most Important Features
When looking for a bivvy tent you should pay attention to breathability, lightweight and compact style. Choose one of the best bivy tents from the list and make sure to share it with your friends who also like do go outdoors solo.