Are you planning on spending a family vacation at a campground? Do you want to enjoy yourself in a spacious tent?
Kids love to play and jump around so it is best that you get one that will be comfy, right? Cabin tents are labeled as such due to their walled structure which resembles a cabin.
Most campers who camp in large groups prefer to use them because they are more sizable and heavy-duty compared to other tent types.
It is important to get the right tent for your needs so check my recommendations of the best cabin tents on the market today.
- Core 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent – [Best Instant Tent]
- Coleman WeatherMaster Tent – [Best Screen Room Tent]
- Ozark Trail Family Cabin Tent – [Best Budget Tent]
- Coleman Dark Rest Cabin Tent – [Best Blackout Tent]
- Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Tent – [Best Canvas Tent]
How do you choose a cabin tent?
Consider material, seasonality, size, ventilation, waterproofness, and setup options when buying yours.
Top Rated Cabin Tents
These tents are manufactured by reputable outdoor brands that are enjoying praise from outdoor enthusiasts all over the world.
Take a look at each of them to figure out your winner.
CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 9 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height:78
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features room divider and wall storage pockets keep items neat and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
If you want to have a relaxing summer vacation in nature with your loved ones this is the tent to buy. This CORE cabin tent comes with a lot of user-friendly features and is definitely one of the best instant tents on the market.
The greatest feature of this model is that you can easily pitch it in literally 1 minute or two because the steel poles are already attached to the cloth. Since cabin tents take a long time to pitch in general, this is a feature that everyone likes.
With thick material, steel poles, and quality build you can camp without worrying that the tent won’t withstand bad weather.
It has Core H2O Block Technology, active bead technology, adjustable ground vent, water-resistant fabrics, and extra factory-sealed seams to make sure that no water will leak in.
The rainfly can be easily removed to watch nature and to stargaze. It has a thick tape that is heat-sealed to it to prevent wind and rain from entering.
Still, it can be chilly inside at night or if camping in areas where temperatures can get low so make sure you pack long sleeve clothes and insulate the tent if you need to.
Coleman WeatherMaster Tent
- Spacious 6-person tent has enough room for 2 queen-size airbeds
- Separate floorless screen room offers bug-free lounging
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Measures 11 x 9 feet with 6-foot 8-inch center height; Screen room measures 9 x 6 feet
- Rainfly and expandable carry bag included
If you have a small family who loves to camp in warmer months then this Coleman 6 person cabin tent might be the one for you.
Its name WeatherMaster is justified as it provides good protection from rain and wind but it is not meant for heavy rain and winter camping.
The cabin tent with a porch features two hinged doors for easy access. I love this innovative way to enter/exit the main room because kids won’t be able to tear the fabric due to the constant usage of the door zippers.
A screened porch will protect you from bugs and mosquitos and enable you to spend the night in the fresh air on hot summer nights.
It is a great place for eating meals, hanging out by playing family games, and/or storing gear. However, the mesh walls of the porch are not protected so the gear can get wet if the rain is falling from the side.
The porch comes with a floor so there is no worry about the wet grounds when it rains.
With the two color-coded poles, continuous pole sleeves, shock-corded fiberglass poles, an exclusive pin-and-ring design, and InstaClip attachments you will set it up easily but it won’t be set as quickly as the Core instant tent.
The Coleman WeatherMaster tent with screen room has a heavy-duty waterproof floor with welding-inspired technology that eliminates needle holes which is nice if you will put furniture with legs inside or camp with a dog.
Ozark Trail Cabin Tent
- This Family Cabin Tent is able to fit on for 2 queen-sized air beds, enough space is available to...
- We have designed this to reduce the unwanted luggage's in travelling because from one of tents...
- This included with a divider in order to live separatly as 2-rooms where you can use one as a living...
- Durable 68D coated polyester fabric for lasting rain protection and also fully taped factory-sealed...
- Our brand is unique from included items such as rain fly, Carry bag, Gear loft, Tent stakes and...
This Ozark Trail 10 person cabin tent is a spacious straight-wall model that won’t break the bank. So, if you are looking for a budget cabin tent you have one.
Just because it’s cheaper than others, it doesn’t mean that it is not worth buying it. On the opposite, most users say that it held the rain and wind pretty well and did not tear in the storm.
However, there are the ones that complained that it has a thick material and the wind made the interior cold.
It’s not an instant tent. Some users complain that this unit is advertised as an instant model but it isn’t. You will have to assemble poles and set up the tent but the setup is straightforward and fast.
In general, this is a spacious tent for a reasonable price that you will enjoy if you won’t be exposed to harsh weather conditions.
Coleman Dark Rest Instant Tent
- Illumiline reflective guylines for greater visibility at night
- Instant setup: In as fast as 1 minute
- 1-year limited warranty
This unit is an invention from Coleman that is selling pretty well. What makes this tent different than others is the fabric that blocks 90% of sunlight.
How can a dark fabric help you while camping? If you like to sleep longer in the morning or you like to take a nap after lunch this model will make sure that you rest undisturbed.
It is also good for festivals as you will need a good rest after a long night.
The company states out that it will be cooler inside due to the dark interior but the customers say the opposite. It gets warm inside pretty fast, I presume because the dark materials absorb heat faster.
According to this fact, the tent should be nice to be in in the fall when you will need extra warmth inside. However, if you will use it in the summertime, bring a fan with you to cool the place down a bit.
The tent is no exception when it comes to windows so you will be able to let the light and air in.
People like that this is an instant tent meaning you will pitch it in no time without the need of installing the poles.
This model includes a hinged door for easy in and out access without the need to zip them which is recommended if you will camp with kids.
Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Canvas Tent
- Made with Hydra-Shield, 100% cotton duck canvas that is durable, watertight and breathable
- Spacious 6'1" ceiling height provides walk-around comfort
- Two large D-shaped doors (front and back) with #10 YKK zippers
- Four large windows with no-see-um mesh
- Flex-Bow Frame: Exceptionally sturdy. Keeps tent taut. Quick and easy, one-person, setup
Kodiak canvas tent will protect your family throughout the year since the fabric is heavy-duty and made to withstand almost all weather situations.
So, if your family likes to camp on a regular basis no matter the weather this unit is an optimal choice. The natural fabric provides good ventilation and withstands precipitation so you don’t have to worry about condensation and leakage.
Canvas dries slower than other synthetic tents so you should be careful when storing the tent as it should be completely dry unless you will face mold that is hard to wash away.
What makes this model different from others on the list is also the fact that it has an awning. It will make a covered entry and shade. You can store shoes and other gear here or use it as a porch.
Due to the quality materials, this tent will last for years, so if you are an avid base camper it will come in handy. However, it is expensive, so it might not be the best choice if you are short of money.
Which is the best cabin tent for rain?
If you want dry camping in the rain and downpour choose the Kodiak canvas tent.
It is manufactured of Hydra-Shield, 100% cotton duck canvas that is made of woven and treated canvas with the dry-finish treatment that is watertight and breathable.
This canvas doesn’t leak or wick water so you will be camping without worries of getting wet.
Hydra-Shield’s silicone-based treatment is durable and long-lasting so you will enjoy the comfort you deserve.
Which is the best instant cabin tent?
If you don’t want to struggle with the setup choose Core instant cabin tent.
The company included pre-attached telescopic poles to the fabric which means the setup will take only a few steps.
The majority of cabin tents are set with assembling the poles and take time to get ready. However, this tent will be set up in minutes by extending the poles and staking.
What is the best screen room tent?
The best screen room tent is the Coleman WeatherMaster tent.
A tent with a screen room provides a big advantage in warm months as you will enjoy on a mesh porch without bugs and have fresh air.
The porch will serve you well when you won’t be able to sleep in the main room as there won’t be enough airflow. It measures 9 x 6 feet which is big enough to place a table and chairs around.
If you want to have a comfortable summer camping opt for this model.
Cabin tent VS dome tent – What are the main differences?
Dome models are the most common ones that are used for camping, hiking, or other outdoor adventure.
Families use cabin tents since they are big enough to accommodate more than 4 people. What are the differences between them?
The shape. These two types differ in shape. Dome units have two poles that cross on the top and are bent to the ground.
Cabin ones have vertical walls. The main difference is that you can walk freely without bending.
This is not possible to do in a dome type since it has poles bent to the ground.
The weight. Dome tents are lighter since they are smaller in size and come with fewer poles than cabin tents which are bigger and have more poles.
The price. Tents that have vertical walls are usually pricier since there is a lot of material and poles.
The accommodation. Cabin shaped tents can accommodate more people than dome units because they are meant for groups of people.
Pitching process. Since cabin models are bigger and heavier, they usually take more time to set up.
Sometimes you won’t be able to set it up by yourself and you will need some help while pitching it. Dome units are easier to set up and take less time to assemble.
How to make sure that a cabin tent survives the wind?
Nevertheless that this type of tent is big and heavy, it can also be blown away due to the high structure. So, to make sure yours is secure in windy conditions, consider taking the next precautions:
- Place it on a safe spot. When setting it up, check where the wind is blowing the most. Avoid places where the wind has a clear way to get to you and set it somewhere where it will be secured by the natural barrier.
- Use a tarp. A tarp can be of great help if you set it in the direction where the wind is blowing; in front of the tent. Make sure that it is properly set so the wind won’t blow it away after you set it up.
- Stake it properly. Pitching your model with stakes is a general precaution to stay safe while the weather gets worse.
- Anchor it. Use anchors to stabilize it. You can buy them or make your own anchors at home.
Get the best family camping tent
If you are going to camp in a campground or base camp with the people you love then you should buy a tent that will provide space and luxury.
Cabin tents are spacious high tents where you will place furniture and organize things as you want so go ahead and choose a model that will provide the comfort that you deserve.