The way people are camping has evolved over the years. Canvas used to be the top fabric for making tents. However, as technology changed, we were introduced to other options on the market.
Today, some of the most popularly used materials for making tents are nylon, polyester, gala, Polaris, and relite. Every material comes with unique features and might serve well under different weather conditions.
Still, a lot of hardcore campers trust cotton tents. Let’s see which are the best canvas tents on the market at this moment and why they deserve to be called as best.
Best canvas tents in the world
Do you want a reliable tent that will make you stand out in the campground with its unique look? A good tent made from cotton is the one that will protect you in all-cause. Here are top canvas tents with features you should check out.
SPRINGBAR Highline 6
- Made with 100% COTTON DUCK CANVAS finished to be WATERTIGHT; Heavy-duty vinyl WATERPROOF FLOOR;...
- EASY AND SIMPLE SET UP is one of many reasons Springbar Tents have been trusted by family campers...
- 100 SQUARE FEET LIVING SPACE with 6.5 FOOT COMFORTABLE STANDING HEIGHT; 10x10-Foot size sleeps up to...
- BUILT TO LAST and protected by a LIFETIME WARRANTY covering manufacturing defects; REPLACEMENT PARTS...
- NEW TO AMAZON but the ORIGINAL SPRINGBAR TENT DESIGN has been trusted and proven SINCE 1961;...
The first canvas tent you must check out is Highline 6 by Springbar. With its size of 10’x10’ and a height of 6’5”, this tent will give enough living space for anyone of any height. It weighs 74 lbs.
The Highline model is easy to set up. It is made of high quality, 100% cotton duck canvas with a watertight coating to protect you from the precipitation and mildew. The floor is made of heavy-duty vinyl. Steel stakes, loops, and (galvanized) poles are strong enough to withstand harsh weather with winds.
It has large windows (no SEE-UM-MESH) and one door. The tent can occupy up to 6 people. By buying this tent you will also get some extras like guylines, an easy to adjust gear loft, and a shade awning.
- High-quality built
- Straightforward design
- Durable and comfortable
- Lifetime warranty
- Quite heavy like any other canvas tent
Kodiak Canvas Cabin Tent
- Made with Hydra-Shield, 100% cotton duck canvas that is durable, watertight and breathable
- Spacious 6'1" ceiling height provides walk-around comfort
- Two large D-shaped doors (front and back) with #10 YKK zippers
- Four large windows with no-see-um mesh. Designed for compact storage
- Two funnel-flow vents help improve air flow and temperature management
Another high-quality canvas tent you should consider is Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow 4-person tent. It measures 35.5 x 12.5 x 11.5 inches and weighs 54.5 lbs with stakes. The tent is made of Hydra-Shield 100% cotton duck canvas which is breathable, watertight and durable at the same time.
Ceiling and walls of this long-lasting tent are made of Hydra-Shield canvas while the floor is made of polyester-reinforced vinyl with welded seams. The rods are made of solid spring steel Flex-bow.
It has a center height of 6’1″ so no reason to worry about bending and crawling inside the tent. This model has 2 big doors with #10 YKK zippers for extra comfortability and easy accessibility. There are 4 large windows with NO-SEE-UM mesh. Two funnel-flow vents take care of ventilation and control the temperature inside.
While it’s an all-season tent, you must be careful when using it in a mountain environment as it is not meant for extreme weather conditions.
- Made of durable material
- Big D-shaped doors
- Great ventilation and temperature control
- Easy to set up
- Full rainproof coverage
- The zippers could be better
PlayDo 4-Season Canvas Bell Tent
- POWER CABLE INLET at side wall.This camping tent has a power cable inlet with length...
- 4 SEASON TENT. Diameter 5 inch wood burning stove vent is on top of this canvas yurt tent instead of...
- WATERPROOF and HEAVY DUTY. This glamping tent is made of 300gsm cotton fabric,waterproof treated and...
- BREATHABLE. Top air vents and zippable windows, complete with nets. You even can roll up the wall of...
- CAPACITY.3M tent is for one or two people and lovers. It is also great for use as a garden play...
With PlayDo Bell tent you will feel like at home. This glamping tent is made of waterproof 300gsm cotton fabric with stitched seams. It can tolerate light to moderate winds and is good enough to withstand rain and snow.
The tent dimensions are 118.11 x 118.11 x 98.42 inches. It weighs 42.4 lbs. The floor area is made up of PVC weatherproof material and there’s an option to fasten to the side from the bottom floor. It has A-frame door that enables you to go in and out through the door smoothly.
This 4 season tent with stove jack is one of the best canvas tents for winter camping. It has top air vents and zippable half-moon screen windows that take care of ventilation. Furthermore, there’s another option to tie the canvas up and leave it open when you prefer. It also has a power cable hole.
The best canvas tent with stove
PlayDo bell tent isn’t an ordinary tent due to the bell shape and a stove hole. That means you will be able to cook and heat a tent without worrying about condensation and smoke.
It has a 5-inch diameter wood burning stove vent on the top of the tent that is fire resistant. The hole can be covered with long-lasting straps when not in need. This is one of the best canvas tents with stove jack hole you will find on the market for sure.
- Large floor area
- Rollable sidewalls
- Comes with a stove and a power cable hole
- Easy setup
- The main zipper could run smoother
Teton Sports Mesa Canvas Tent
- STAY DRY AND KEEP COOL: Waterproof canvas is breathable for the best all-season protection and...
- HOME AWAY FROM HOME: Roomy tent has extra-high ceilings; Large awning protects the entry of the...
- EXTRA WIDE DOORS: First of its kind, oversized doors allow you to move your camping gear in and out...
- QUICKER, EASIER SET UP: Family tent has a quick and easy setup; Push down the top bar, put the pins...
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING customer service team if you have any questions or...
Teton sports Mesa model is a heavy-duty canvas tent for camping and other outdoor activities. It is a 4 season canvas tent that offers protection without compromising comfort.
It measures 10′ x 14′ x 6′ 6″ and weighs 59 pounds. It can accommodate 4-6 people. The floor is made of super-duty 19 oz. interwoven polymer. Stakes are carbon steel. With 2 large pockets, 2-multi pockets, and 2 overhead storage you will have things organized and on the reach whenever you need them.
The tent has 2 extra-large doors for easy accessibility, topped with high-quality #10 SBS zippers that have extra-large pulls and are double-stiched. Its mesh screens offer great view and ventilation. Setting it up is easy due to the T-1 top bar. With E-port access, you will use the power inside. It comes with a lifetime warranty.
- High-quality tent
- Easy to set up and disassemble
- Plenty of organization pockets
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Instructions could be better
Dream House bell tent
- Size: Diameter 4 meter i.e. 13.1ft
- Cover material: 0.63 lbs/10ft2 (285g/sqm) beige cotton canvas with 3000mm waterproof PU, tent with...
- Center pole material: diameter 1.5in (38mm) x thickness 2/25in (2mm) galvanized steel tubes
- Door pole material: diameter 3/4in (19mm) x thickness 1/25in (1mm) galvanized steel tubes
- Please note to place the chimney hole on the sloping roof may lead to water leakage, that's why we...
Watch out because you could fall in love with this glamorous yurt bell tent from Dream House. It is a 4-season camping tent that won’t disappoint you no matter when you will be camping.
The tent is made of 0.63 lbs/10ft2 (285g/sqm) beige cotton canvas that has a 3000 mm waterproof level. The groundsheet material is made of 1.2 lbs/10ft2 (540g/sqm) PVC and is integrated and zippable.
The tent measures 157.2 x 157.2 x 98.4 inches giving you enough space for sleeping, playing, cooking and other activities. It has galvanized steel tubes. In hot days you can roll up the walls to have more ventilation. The tent’s height is 98.4 inches which is the tallest tent on the list. You will be able to fit 1 queen-sized bed and 2 twin-sized beds. The setup will take you about 15 minutes.
This model has enormous doors and windows that feature mesh material for letting the bugs out. This yurt bell tent has a stove hole available that the manufacturer made in the wall (not in the roof) so the rain can’t leak through; quite impressing. It is one of the best canvas tents in the world that offers luxury and protection.
- Offers luxury and protection
- Well-thought-out design
- Quality materials
- A stove hole on the wall
- Storing it into the storage bag can be tricky
Canvas Tents for Camping Guide
The following guide will answer your questions that concern canvas camping tents.
What is a canvas tent?
A canvas tent is a shelter that is made of canvas material. In the past, the canvas was made of hemp but modern canvas fabric is cotton or linen (less used).
We have duck canvas tents which threads are more tightly woven than ordinary canvas. The main features of the canvas material are sturdiness, durability, and breathability.
Are canvas tents waterproof?
Some tent manufacturers already waterproofed their canvas tents but you can make sure you are completely protected and waterproof it additionally. Let’s say that you are expecting heavy rain; in this situation, it would be smart to extra waterproof it.
What makes canvas waterproof?
Cotton fibers absorb the moisture to some level and consequently shrink so water can’t get through the material. Still, some traditional cotton canvas tents are waterproofed with the polyurethane which seals the fibers and makes a tent even more waterproof. This way, the material won’t absorb the moisture and the water will just slide to the ground.
Do canvas tents need waterproofing?
If the tent’s manufacturer claims that the canvas tent is waterproof then you don’t need to waterproof it additionally in case of nice weather or moderate rain. However, it is always best to do it if you expect heavy storms and wind.
Which canvas tent waterproofing spray should you use?
The waterproofing method depends on the tent itself. If you have acrylic canvas then you will use fluoropolymer-based waterproof spray. Petroleum sealant is another way to do it by brushing it onto the fabric. I recommend using eco-friendly waterproof products by DryGuy which are specialists for waterproofing canvas tents.
Do canvas tents hold heat?
Yes, canvas material is natural and good isolator so it will hold the warmth inside. This is especially important when winter camping or being in remote cold areas.
How much does a canvas tent weigh?
Canvas tents are heavier than other camping tents on the market. The weight depends on the tent size and pole type. A 4 person canvas tent can weigh about 50 lbs while a 6 person one can weight about 70 lbs. Canvas tents that can accommodate up to 10 people can weight over 100 lbs.
Are canvas tents better than nylon?
So, what makes canvas tents better than nylon ones? Canvas material is natural and more breathable than nylon. It has better isolation properties so it will feel warmer in a canvas tent.
Another advantage is the durability of the canvas fabric which is much more durable than nylon. You will also like the canvas due to its quietness meanwhile nylon tents tent to rustle in the wind.
Canvas tent features
Next features are the most obvious ones of canvas tents.
Canvas is never going to disappoint when it comes to its strength. It is going to endure wind, downpours, as well as hailstorms. Even curious animals are going to have a hard time piercing a canvas tent.
A camping tent made of nylon usually lasts for approximately three to four years, depending on your usage. On the other hand, a tent made of a canvas may last for ten years or more.
Canvas is so durable that it is also used in the construction of some semi-permanent structures. Canvas covers are frequently used over traditional wooden frames and cement foundations. These “cabents” can last for many years and offer a way to keep low-cost lodging.
Canvas fabric is made from cotton, and as you already know by now, cotton material is breathable. Materials like polyester, nylon, and other fabrics don’t allow air to circulate as much as a canvas fabric.
Get a canvas tent that will last for years
While this kind of tent is not as popular as it was in the past, it doesn’t change the fact that buying one of these would be a great option for your upcoming adventure due to advantages that it has in comparison to other types of camping tents.
Know that a canvas tent is made of natural material, is breathable, durable and should last for years if you take care of it properly. If you have further questions regarding these tents, let me know in the comment below.