Are you planning a camping trip with your family but the weather forecast is bad and you don’t have one of the best family tents for bad weather?
Anyone would agree that going tent camping with your loved ones unprepared can ruin the whole experience, especially for kids.
Things can get out of control because of several factors and one of those is the weather. Imagine that you are outdoors and a storm surprises you.
If you run to your tent that is not waterproof you could face a big disappointment. That’s why looking for a good waterproof family model is something you have to prioritize.
Follow my quick buying guide to make sure you get the right tent for harsh weather conditions and some useful tips for camping with your loved ones.
Best Family Tents For Bad Weather In 2021
|CORE 9-Person Extended Dome Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Coleman 8-Person Montana Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Hikergarden 8-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Browning Camping Big Horn Two-Room Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|NTK Arizona GT 9/10-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|UNP 10 Person Family Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Ozark Trail 14' x 10' Family Cabin Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Big Agnes Dog House Camping Tent, 6 Person||Check price on Amazon|
|Wenzel Vacation Lodge Tent - 7 Person||Check price on Amazon|
|GEERTOP Camping Tent for 4 Person||Check price on Amazon|
Top-Rated Family Camping Tents
There are several things to do before going on a family outdoor trip but having a decent tent is the first thing to consider.
I am sure you want to take your loved ones on a sunny outdoor experience but sometimes this is not possible. However, you can choose a unit that will offer safety and comfort for your loved ones even in harsh weather.
As there are many of them, I selected the models that you can use if it is raining already or if the forecast is bad for the next few days.
They are all waterproof, meaning that it will resist water from their surface and prevent leakage. I selected these family camping tents regarding durability and performance in bad weather conditions.
The models come in different shapes and with different features so you will need to know your family’s requirements to pick the right one.
Here are my top picks explained in more detail.
CORE 9-Person Extended Dome Tent
- Sleeps 9 people; Fits three queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72 inches
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent.Pole Type: Traditional Fiber Glass Poles
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes tent, tent poles, rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag. All Core tents are equipped with...
The first on the list that you should check out is the Core 9-person extended dome tent.
Due to its size (16’ X 9’), it can accommodate up to 9 people and comfortably fit 3 queen-sized mattresses. This 4-season unit has a center height of 72 inches.
It’s made of 68D polyester fabric that is water-resistant, has 600mm coating, and includes H2O block technology which features quick water runoff, and watertight door seams.
Poles are made of fiberglass (9.5mm, 8.5mm, and 6.9mm). The floor is manufactured with durable 115gsm P.E. while the poles are made of 7 inches steel.
The extra-wide, thick tape is heat-sealed to the rain fly to prevent wind and water from coming inside.
The model weighs 18.21 pounds. It comes with a lantern hook, organizer pockets, and a gear loft to store your items. It also features a power cord access port that is entirely closable when it’s not in use.
The model has a fully-taped removable rainfly, which makes it also ideal for summertime as it gives proper ventilation together with the adjustable ground vent.
Coleman Elite Montana 8-person tent
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; included rainfly offers...
- Hinged door: Easily swings open and includes an extended awning
- Storage pockets: Keep small gear organized and off the floor
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Roomy interior: 16 x 7 ft. With 6 ft. 2 in. Center height; fits 3 queen-size air beds
This Coleman 3-season model is made of polyester and is one of the best waterproof tents for camping that you can get.
It measures 16 x 7 feet and has a 74 inches center height. It can accommodate 7 people or in the worst case 8 and fits 3 queen size air beds.
Its resistant waterproof floor with fully-welded floor seams will stop water from leaking inside. With the WeatherTec system that includes welded corners, inverted seams, and a rain fly you will stay dry.
It is surprisingly lightweight (24.5 lbs) and pretty simple and quick to set up (in about 15 minutes) due to snag-free, continuous pole sleeves and the patented pin-and-ring system.
The Montana model features a big hinged door with an awning on top that enables you to store gear and dirty shoes.
A room divider provides two rooms for privacy. Pockets will serve you to store the items like a mobile, keys, and other personal stuff. Windows are angled so opening them in the rain is possible to provide air inside.
If you want to read its user guide, feel free to do at by clicking this link.
HIKERGARDEN 8-person tent
- ROOMY FOR 8 - HIKERGARDEN 8-person tent is the best family tent you will find. This Tent is very...
- EASY SETUP & SMOOTH ZIP - Easy Install in 10mins. It takes only a few simple steps to set up a...
- PROFESSIONAL WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF - By a professional water testing, HIKERGARDEN family tent’s...
- VENTILATION & LIGHTWEIGHT - Get away from the city lights, and you are able to gaze at the Milky...
- SEPARATED ROOM - Our TOMOUNT provides a curtain which you can hand on inside the tent. Then you can...
This family model can accommodate up to 8 campers. You can fit 3 queen air mattresses or 8 sleeping bags inside. It measures 14 x 9 feet, has 72 inches height, and weighs 18.1 pounds.
Assembly and zippers
It is easy to set it up without particular skills and will take 10 minutes to pitch it due to snag-free continuous pole sleeves. The unit has convenient 2-way zippers that are smooth and sturdy and won’t get stuck while you use them.
Material and other features
The Hikergarden model is waterproof and windproof. It is made of polyester and has a waterproof index of 4000mm which is quite a lot so it won’t leak as easily.
It features a wind-responsive frame with re-designed poles which makes it stable in rain and wind. The creation has large mesh doors and 5 mesh windows for optimal air circulation.
It features an electrical access port and an interior gear pocket to store personal items. The curtain will provide 2 separate rooms for privacy.
Browning Big Horn Family Tent
- Our Browning Big Horn Series is a free-standing tent with fiberglass poles and steel uprights,...
- Two-room wall divider, extra tall center and straight side walls gives more room for cots, sleeping...
- Six large windows, two doorways and mesh roof offer easy entry and ultimate ventilation
- Fully equipped with mesh storage pockets, polyester fly, guy ropes and steel stakes
- Base Size: 10' x 15', Packed Size: 12" x 30", Center Height: 87", Total Weight: 34 lbs. 11 oz.
One of the best waterproof tents is the Browning Big Horn model that is quite popular among campers with family. It measures 10′ x 15′, has a center height of 87″ and a total weight of 34 lbs. 11 oz.
It is a 2-room unit that has a durable 150D oxford floor with a 2000mm layer and a polyester fly perfect for rainy days. The model has fiberglass poles and steel uprights for additional strength and stability.
Additional features and weather protection
This 3-season tent comes with 2 doors and 6 large windows and can accommodate up to 8 people.
It has factory-sealed seams and 75D 185T polyester fly for extra wet-weather protection and features a freestanding system.
Mesh roof takes care of ventilation. It has a thick 150D polyester oxford floor (+ 2000mm coating) and an entrance for each room. This cabin style model is tall enough to make 6 footer campers feel comfortable.
It features mesh storage pockets so you will have your important things at hand. This is definitely one of the best investments for growing families.
Due to hub design, you will be pitching it without too much effort as you will just clip each snap over the pole and buckle the fly. You can set it up by yourself but it will be easier if someone helps you.
NTK Arizona GT Tent
- RATED #6 FOR THE BEST FAMILY TENT IN THE USA IN 2016. SPACIOUS 9 to 10 Person (aduls/kids), 2 Rooms,...
- FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY: Double layer 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane 2500 mm water column,...
- FRAME: 100% virgin NANO-FLEX shock corded fiber glass rods with improved diameter and double gold...
- MOSQUITO MESH: Inner tent fully breathable with generous Ultra-thin polyester no-see style mesh...
- FLOOR MATERIAL AND DESIGN: Heavy duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene with inner silver coated...
The NTK Arizona GT model can accommodate up to 9-10 people. This is a well-built and super reliable 3-season family unit with a fully covered fly that will protect you in any weather condition.
It measures 6.7 x 8 x 17.4 ft, weighs 26.45 pounds, and has a center height of 6.2 feet.
The rain fly is made of a double layer 190T polyester that has polyurethane 2500 mm coating, partially aluminum heat-welded PU seam-sealed, and UV protection.
The frame is manufactured with 100% virgin NANO-FLEX shock-corded fiberglass rods that have improved diameter and double gold plated ferrules.
Ultra-thin polyester no-see style mesh provides bug-free adventure and ultimate ventilation. The floor is manufactured with a heavy-duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene with an inner silver coated layer.
It is a 2-room model that has an excellent ventilation system due to large covered mesh vents, D-style doors featuring a mosquito mesh, and the inner tent ultra-slim polyester micro-mesh.
It is a non-freestanding model with a hybrid construction between a tunnel-type, dome, and extended-dome. A unique element barrier bathtub-style construction will prevent waking up in a puddle.
The setup is quick due to the aluminum Pin-and-ring system. It meets CPAI-84 flammability.
UNP Family Camping Tent
- 【Spacious for 10 Persons】Unique 18ft x 9ft x78in, well fitting 10 sleeping bags or 3 queen air...
- 【Easy up Tent】Attach FRP poles onto the cabinet tent completely by J hooks, no trouble of...
- 【Good Ventilation, Large View】Top Large Mosquito Repellent Mesh Roof makes it available to watch...
- 【2 Room Tents, Outdoor Cinema】Hang one Privacy Divider Curtain from the ceiling, the tent...
- 【High Quality Material, Waterproof, Weatherproof】Polyester 185T PU1000mm fabric guarantees water...
The UNP dome unit is a polyester 4-season unit with floor dimensions of 9 x 18 feet. It can accommodate up to 10 people.
The model weighs 23.1 pounds and has 78 inches of center height. You will be able to put 3 queen air mattresses inside for sleeping.
The product is manufactured by 185T PU1000mm polyester. The windows and roof are made of mesh material to provide optimal ventilation. The poles feature fiberglass-reinforced polymer (FRP) material.
Regarding assembly, all you have to do is to attach FRP poles onto the cabinet tent with the help of J hooks. This means that you won’t hassle with putting the poles through the sleeves as in some other models.
Secure and windproof setup is enabled due to patented foot sleeves. If a partner helps you to set it up, it will take about 8 minutes to assemble.
With a large mosquito repellent mesh roof, your family will be protected from the annoying mosquitos, you will have a nice view and good ventilation.
It includes taped seams. This model has 2 mesh windows on the doors and 3 large mesh windows on the sides. The window flaps can be rolled up or down for ventilation or shade.
You will be able to have privacy due to a curtain that separates two rooms and serves as a projector for watching a family movie in the evening.
There is a vestibular awning and extended awning above the doors to prevent rain from falling inside. A gear loft and mesh pockets offer storage space while the electrical access port enables you to have electricity inside.
Ozark Trail Family Cabin Tent
- This Family Cabin Tent is able to fit on for 2 queen-sized air beds, enough space is available to...
- We have designed this to reduce the unwanted luggage's in travelling because from one of tents...
- This included with a divider in order to live separatly as 2-rooms where you can use one as a living...
- Durable 68D coated polyester fabric for lasting rain protection and also fully taped factory-sealed...
- Our brand is unique from included items such as rain fly, Carry bag, Gear loft, Tent stakes and...
It’s a cabin tent that can accommodate up to 10 people. You can fit 2 queen-sized air beds inside. It measures 66.14 x 47.24 x 33.86 inches, weighs 38.3 pounds, and has 80″ of center height.
Material and features
The model is made of durable 68D coated polyester fabric. It has fully-taped factory-sealed seams and a rain fly to provide you a dry adventure.
The product includes a gear loft for storing things, tent stakes, and electrical cord access to have electricity inside.
It has large windows on all sides. You will be able to pitch this large tent in about 10 minutes.
Don’t let the introduction of this model on Amazon full you, it isn’t an instant unit, it is a traditional unit that sets up with poles. With the included curtain you will be able to have 2 rooms for sleeping.
Big Agnes Big House Group Camping Tent
- VERSATILE & ROOMY – The Dog House is a roomy single-wall family shelter this is versatile and...
- SIMPLE DESIGN – The door is smooth opening, requiring just one hand. The oversized back window can...
- STORAGE – There are two interior mesh pockets. Multiple interior loops are included for attaching...
- READY TO PITCH - Pre-cut guy lines and tensioners attached to tent. Reflective guy lines and webbing...
- Select an option for more details and specifications
Big Agnes made a cabin model that is meant for camping and backpacking throughout the year.
The floor area measures 83 square feet and can occupy up to 6 people. The product weighs 9lb 1 oz. and has 81 inches of center height.
This 4-season model is made of polyester that has PU coating on the fly and floor. The poles are made of DAC lightweight aluminum so they are strong and won’t break as easily as fiberglass ones. It features aluminum stakes.
It has 2 doors, one on the front and one on the back that are meshed from inside to provide ventilation. It includes storm flaps on the zippers to prevent the water from leaking in.
A door stash will help you to leave the doors open. The guy lines and webbing are reflective so you will find your tent easily at night and won’t fall over the guy lines.
Interior and other features
The manufacturer included two removable mesh pockets that you can install on the corners. The interior loops are there for attaching gear loss and hang lanterns.
The map in front of the doors is perfect to leave your dirty shoes on so the interior stays dry and clean. Pole secure mint points serve for a secure pitch with extra stability.
It comes with a canopy!
The special feature is the canopy that you get with this model. You can set it up when you want a shade and a place to have your dinner when the weather is hot. It is a perfect terrace in nature.
This is why it is a perfect bike tent because you can place the bike under the canopy while you rest in the tent. You can buy a vestibule from Big Agnes so you can store gear there and to have additional weather protection.
Wenzel Family Tent
The Wenzel Vacation Lodge tent is a 4-season unit that can occupy up to 7 people. It measures 13 x 9 feet, has a 85 inches center height, and weighs 32 pounds, 3 ounces.
Material and other features
The poles are made of steel while the floor is made of polyethylene. It comes with 2 double Dutch “D” doors and 6 closable windows.
This Kodiak model features central hubs that connect the roof to steel uprights and a simple-to-use fast-feet system.
When there is a sunny day you can place a free-standing sun shelter. Two hanging pockets take care of the organization inside. An E-port is enabled to charge your phone or watch a movie. It features a room divider for privacy.
GEERTOP LandLope Camping Tent
- 【Large 4 Person Tent】GEERTOP "LandLope 3" tent is good for 4 man; Spacious space - 82.67 x 84.64...
- 【Double Layer Tent】The inner tent is free standing; It could be used seperatly; Add a vestibule...
- 【Breathable Camp Tent】Tent for camping design with 2 mesh entrances, 5 ventilation windows ,...
- 【Easy to Set Up Tent】Just only take a few minutes , quick & easy to set up even for one person ,...
- 【Durable & Potable】Made of waterproof polyester material, only weigh about 10.14 lbs for a...
This GEERTOP LandLope 4-season model comes for 4 persons. It measures 82.67 x 84.64 x 49.21 inches and weighs 10.14 lbs. which is quite lightweight for a big tent.
The flysheet is made of 210T PU2500MM waterproof polyester while the inner tent is manufactured by 190T breathable polyester. The floor feature 50D Oxford cloth with PU3000 mm waterproof coating.
The inner tent is freestanding. A vestibule from the tent flysheet will serve you for storing outdoor gear and element protection. The flysheet makes 2 halls that will give you even more space.
It features 2 large meshed doors and 5 windows. The assembly is quite easy as you just need to place two poles across each other.
The vestibule measures 39.37 inches and has a center height of 49 inches. The unit has double side zipper, double stitching, and a storage pocket.
Family Tent Buying Guide
It is important for you to answer some questions that will ease your purchase. Don’t skip this section as it will help you to determine which camping unit you need.
Know the Right Size
Companies usually miscalculate the number of campers who can fit cozily in a tent. As a general rule, make sure to always have extra space so you can put another person or two in.
For example, if there are 4 of you in the family, buy one that is advertised as a 5 or 6-person tent.
Choose the Right Type
Units that are meant to protect you from wet weather come in two types: 3-season and 4-season. Usually, a 3-season unit is enough to keep your family dry as it can handle most weather situations you are likely to encounter.
On the other hand, 4-season units are more suitable for colder days and heavy snowfall. The downside, however, is that they usually don’t have a ventilation system that a 3-season model can offer.
Pick the Right Shape
It’s also important to pick a tent shape that works best for your loved ones. Dome and cabin types are the most common ones to choose from.
A cabin model looks like the shape of a cabin or a house. They’re normally spacious and will let you stand up straight inside.
On the other hand, a dome resembles an igloo and generally don’t offer the same headroom as a previous type.
Both models usually come with a zip-down divider which will give you privacy, however, you can leave the divider up and have one large, common sleeping place.
Get a Large model
If you are planning to camp with your loved ones, nothing can work better than a large tent.
Nowadays, its designers are coming up with tad more complex designs that scale up their favorite shapes of small units into comparatively bigger ones.
These ones are roomy, spacious and comfortable. Before buying it, the first thing that you should consider is space. Your model should be roomy enough to accommodate at least three members.
A decent family tent will have two bedrooms (minimum). They will also have adequate groundsheets that will prevent insects, damp and cold.
These ones are also suitable for camping sessions, where you take your children, as they come with a bedroom divider that can be unzipped by your child when he wants to reach out to you.
Take them in a car
Although they are slightly heavier in size, they are perfectly designed to be carried in your car. So, the weight will never turn out to be an issue.
Most of them are available in the most innovative styles that are teamed up with the ultimate comfort level.
Family cabin tents
Families love to get a cabin tent because it represents an outdoor house. These ones are spacious, comfortable, and offer multiple rooms for privacy.
They feature vertical walls that enable you to walk straight inside, without having to bend or crawl.
Perfect glamping units
These ones are also perfect glamping units since they offer a lot of space and privacy. Some also have a porch on which you can enjoy throughout the day and for stargazing at night.
Family pod tents
These are probably one of the largest tents on the market and are perfect for families. They come with a central living area and several other sleeping areas that we know as pods.
These pod units lead off like small spokes from a wheel’s hub. Their interior is roomy and spacious. They are ideal for staying outdoors with kids where the little ones can have their own private space.
Likewise, this type has a proper area in the tent’s center where campers can enjoy their time.
These are excellent models for groups. They are nothing more than flexible pole tents which are suitable for small groups.
The actual shape of them tends to bend a flexible pole into a semi-circle which has both its ends attached to a durable tape or a webbing strap that runs across the tent’s base. This often acts as the groundsheet.
There are two flexible poles that cross in the middle to develop a square dome, where three poles make a hexagon. The sides of them are slightly vertical so there are more headroom and an equally wide floor area.
The stability of dome units is relatively good in the smaller models.
These are one of the rarest but the simplest family models ever. However, an inflatable unit is more suitable for small groups of people. Although they are rare, people like to buy them due to a fast setup.
They are slightly more extravagant and relatively heavy. However, one of their major benefits is the installation.
All that you have to do is peg out the different corners, turn on the compressor and it will automatically inflate in a couple of minutes.
Although these might not be really roomy and spacious in the bigger models, they can be a good idea if you are lazy enough to carry out the long-drawn tent installation process.
Family backpacking tents
If you are planning to hike or go for a mountaineering session with your loved ones, then this one is a good option.
Backpacking and mountain models let the camper leave the tracks and try his camping sessions in the wilderness.
If you are someone who is looking out to spend some quality time in a desolate location, they are a perfect option. They are specifically made to be easily installed in desolate locations, far away from the popular camping sites.
Light to carry
Family backpacking models are made of light materials and are relatively small. This makes it easier to carry it in your bag pack.
Most of them are available in the shape of a tunnel which ensures that the unit is rigid and resistant to the cold winds.
They can be crafted in a manner to withstand extreme weather conditions. They can stand against the roughest or coldest winds, stormy rains, and sudden snowfalls.
Which is the best family tent on the market?
The best tent for a family is the one that has plenty of space, rooms, and has a good ventilation system. Moreover, it should protect you from the elements and provide the comfort that you need.
Pay attention to weather features
If you are looking for a waterproof model, you should pay attention to the material, hydrostatic head, and technologies that its company developed to protect against rain and wind. Rainfly and tarp are recommended as well.
However, if you are going outdoors in a hot climate, you should get a large one that has enough vents and mesh for air circulation.
Who makes the best family tents?
There are outdoor companies that specialize in manufacturing the top family units.
These companies developed models that satisfy the customer by providing functionality, space, and comfort. Some of them are using technologies that make their products one of the most valuable.
Next manufacturers make one of the best large tents for camping:
- Ozark Trail
- Browning Camping
- Tahoe Gear
What do I need for a family camping trip?
When you are going camping, you should consider the necessities and fun things that will make it safe and enjoyable. Let’s take a look at the essentials that your family needs in bad weather and on sunny days.
Essentials for a bad weather camping
- A waterproof tent should be large enough to accommodate all campers comfortably.
- A tarp that you can put above the model to protect it from possible leakage. It can also protect it from being blown away in the case of the wind.
- Synthetic clothes to protect from the cold and hypothermia. This type of clothes won’t absorb moisture so you will be dry and protected.
- A raincoat for everybody or a waterproof jacket which you will wear when you will be heading for the firewood and going to the toilet.
- A heater will provide warmth inside the tent for the maximum comfort of your family members. If you have the possibility to connect to the electricity source that’s great but you can also bring a heater on batteries.
- A portable stove for cooking meals and preparing hot drinks that will provide you energy and warmth.
Essentials for hot weather camping
- A tent with a lot of mesh and vents. On hot days you should consider having one that will provide proper air circulation. This is crucial since the air inside can get stifling if there is not enough ventilation. When buying one, look for the big windows that can be opened, this will help to ventilate it additionally.
- Light clothes. Bring cotton clothes so your skin will breathe and forget synthetic ones. A hat is recommendable as it will protect your head from the hot sun.
- A sun cream may be of no importance but consider it as it will protect you from the harmful UV rays.
- A cooler will keep your food and drinks cold and prevent it from spoiling.
- A tent ventilator can help to cool the hot air inside and take care of additional ventilation.
How do you camp with kids?
Do you think camping with toddlers is impossible? They are wonderful companions on an outdoor trip if you know how to distract them. Think of the activities and tasks that you will do with them.
There are numerous games to play so bring some board games, a ball, and their favorite games so they will stay occupied while you are preparing a meal or washing clothes.
Explore the greenery and animals
I recommend that you don’t take video games because there is so much to discover in nature, your kids will be surprised how exciting it is to explore the greenery and animals.
Ask a toddler to help you
When you want a helping hand from a toddler, think of the ways that will entertain him. You can invite him to pick firewood with you. Take binoculars and watch the animals on the way to the forest. I am sure he will love it.
How do you keep kids warm when camping?
Comfortability is first when it comes to spending time outdoors, especially with kids. Take care that your children will have enough warm cotton clothes from socks, sweaters, and pants.
If you will be winter camping, take a warm hat and gloves as well. A blanket will help them fall to sleep.
Set a campfire
A campfire is going to warm them as you cook or have a pleasant evening. Also, allow them to be active; activities on the fresh air will speed up their blood circulation so they won’t be cold.
How do I get my kids to sleep while camping?
There are ways to make your kid fall asleep in no time.
- Tell them stories and read to them. Take your time and read their favorite bedtime story. You can also turn on your imagination and tell them stories that will calm them and make them fall to sleep. You can tell them how it was when you were a child, I am sure they will pay attention to every word you say.
- Lay with them and talk to them till they fall to sleep. Kids want to be safe and secure so lay with them and talk to them. Ask them what they want to do the next day, what are their worries, and which outdoor activity excites them the most.
- Play games. Playing a board game or cards over a campfire will make your toddler relaxed and prepared for good night sleep.
How do you make camping fun for kids?
The best way to make it fun for your toddlers is to explore nature. Consider a hiking day and tell the idea to your loved ones. When you wake up the next morning, make yourselves a rich breakfast and head on the trail.
Make sure you have good hiking shoes on and a backpack full of necessities like foods and water, a blanket, and a stove.
Consider taking a camera and binoculars which will make your trip exciting as you will watch and take photos of the animals and nature’s beauties.
How do you camp with a baby?
Camping with a baby requires some extra preparation. The main consideration is to make your newborn feel comfortable all the time.
Here are some of the things that you should consider taking on an outdoor adventure with a baby.
- A baby carrier. It will help you to carry him when you will be heading towards your campground or when you will be hiking around. Make sure you choose the one that will make him feel comfortable and secure.
- A camping chair. A baby camping chair is a must if you want to have your baby on the eyes all the time. It will make sure that he is safe while you make breakfast or a campfire.
- A changing mat. A foldable and waterproof changing mat is perfect for an adventure with a baby. It doesn’t take much space in your backpack and is functional when you must change his diaper.
- A portable activity center. This item is an alternative to a baby chair but it makes a lot of fun for the baby. Make sure that you get one that folds up and is easy to carry. Moreover, if you will be outdoors in summer, take one that has a canopy over so it will protect your newborn from UV rays.
- A sleeping sack is perfect to make him warm and cozy while he sleeps.
Don’t forget about his favorite toy, food, and clothes so you will have a pleasant outdoor experience.
What age can you take baby camping?
There is no age defined for a baby camping however you should make sure that he feels comfortable. You can take your newborn outdoors after a few months of taking birth if you consider his needs.
A baby needs food, clothes, and a place to sleep. Also, pay attention to the dangers of the wild and always keep him close to you so you can see him.
Camp and make memories
You don’t have a tent for bad weather yet? If you are planning an outdoor vacation with your loved ones in the part of the world where rain is common, then you should think about getting one.
Remember, you are going outdoors with kids and they are not so tolerating as you might be, especially if you have younger children. So you shouldn’t let circumstances to overcome your family’s enjoyment time.
A good tent should be a priority to any camper, no matter where he is going, with whom, or what are his goals at a camping site.
What does it have to make sure your loved ones stay dry and satisfied? Well, I mentioned some of the factors such as space, type, and shape but there are other factors to consider as well.
Pick a reliable model
Your model should have a high hydrostatic head (HH) and this means how water resistant your unit actually is.
However, you should also know that a tent has to be stitched well and have sealed seams so you won’t experience a leakage.
The most common problem in wet weather are zippers where the rain can easily enter inside. I suggest you choose a model that has zippers with a cover.
What about a waterproof unit? Tents are made from different fabrics that have a waterproof coat that protects from the rain and snow.
Place a tarp
How can you secure it even more from the rain? This task is easy as you can get a large tarp and put it over your model and surroundings. It is an easy solution that will double your protection and make your tent surroundings drier.
Pitching it in the right place is a basic rule when you are staying where it rains a lot. My suggestion is that you don’t pitch it on soft grounds, on slopes, and in depressions.
Don’t forget to pack a raincoat for your loved ones and other clothes like jackets, socks, shirts, etc. You should have a synthetic jacket or coat that will not absorb the water (forget about cotton clothes in rainy conditions).
Hopefully, this article helped you to find the best family tents for bad weather so you will spend your vacation dry and happy. Before you spend your hard-earned money on any model, make sure it suits your needs.
I wish you a happy outdoor experience that you will remember for years.