Are you planning a camping trip with your family but the weather forecast is bad? Anyone would agree that going camping unprepared can ruin the whole experience, especially for kids.
So, make sure you’ve got everything you need in order to make your trip unforgettable for each family member.
However, things can get out of control. One of those things is the weather. That’s why looking for the best family tents for bad weather is something you have to prioritize.
Follow a quick buying guide to make sure you have the right tent for bad weather conditions.
My top picks for best family tents for rain
I selected these tents regarding durability and bad weather conditions.
CORE 9-Person Extended Dome Tent
- Sleeps 9 people; Fits three queen air mattresses; Center Height: 72 inches
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features gear loft with lantern hook and pockets to keep items organized and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes tent, tent poles, rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag. All Core tents are equipped with...
The first on my list is the Core 9-person extended dome tent. Due to its size, it can comfortably fit 3 queen-sized mattresses. It has a center height of 6 feet.
This tent comes with a lantern hook, organizer pockets, and gear loft. It also features a power cord access port that is entirely closable when it’s not in use.
It’s made of 68D polyester fabric that is water-resistant and has H2O block technology which features quick water runoff, and watertight door seams.
Lastly, it has fully-taped removable rainfly, which makes it also ideal for summertime as it gives proper ventilation.
- Removable rainfly for ventilation
- Smart organizing system for easily accessing tools
- Great for tall people
- Quite large for a smaller family
- It is quite heavy
Coleman Elite Montana 8-person tent
- Spacious 8 person tent has enough room for 3 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented corner welds and inverted seams helps keep water out
- Extended door awning keeps shoes and gear dry; hinged door offers easy access
- Measures 16 x 7 feet with 6 foot 2 inch center height
- Quick setup in 15 minutes with carry bag included for easy transportation
Its resistant waterproof floor with fully-welded floor seams will stop water from leaking into the tent.
It is surprisingly lightweight and pretty simple to set up. This tent features a big hinged door that will make you feel like at home.
Do your kids want privacy? This tent has a room divider that divides the tent into two rooms.
Another feature you will like about it is the color-coded pole system which enables an easy tent pitch.
- Dividers for privacy
- Hinged door for easy access
- Color-coded pole system for easy setup
- Two doors
- Great ventilation system
- Can be overkill for a smaller family
- Flimsy metal stakes
Tomount 8-person tent
- ROOMY FOR 8 - HIKERGARDEN 8-person tent is the best family tent you will find. This Tent is very...
- EASY SETUP & SMOOTH ZIP - Easy Install in 10mins. It takes only a few simple steps to set up a...
- PROFESSIONAL WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF - By a professional water testing, HIKERGARDEN family tent's...
- VENTILATION & LIGHTWEIGHT - Get away from the city lights, and you are able to gaze at the Milky...
- HIKERGARDEN PROMISE: The electrical access port lets you run a cord from your device in the tent to...
This family tent can accommodate 8 campers. You can fit 3 queen air mattresses or 8 sleeping bags inside. It is easy to set up and will take 10 minutes to pitch it due to snag-free continuous pole sleeves.
This tent is waterproof and windproof. It is made of polyester and has a waterproof index of 4000mm. It features a wind-responsive frame with re-designed poles which makes it stable in bad weather conditions.
This Tomount tent has 1 large mesh door and 5 mesh windows for optimal air circulation. The tent has an electrical access port and an interior gear pocket to store your items.
- Good ventilation system
- Fast setup
- Stable in bad weather
- Poles can crack easily
Browning Big Horn Family Tent
- Our Browning Big Horn Series is a free-standing tent with fiberglass poles and steel uprights,...
- Two-room wall divider, extra tall center and straight side walls gives more room for cots, sleeping...
- Six large windows, two doorways and mesh roof offer easy entry and ultimate ventilation
- Fully equipped with mesh storage pockets, polyester fly, guy ropes and steel stakes
- Base Size: 10' x 15', Packed Size: 12" x 30", Center Height: 87", Total Weight: 34 lbs. 11 oz.
One of the best family tents for wet weather is the Browning Big Horn tent. It is a 2-room tent that has a durable 150D oxford floor that has a 2000mm layer and a polyester fly perfect for rainy days.
This tent comes with 2 doors and 6 windows and it can accommodate up to 8 people. It has sealed seams and flies for extra wet weather protection and features a freestanding system.
It has a thick floor tarp and has an entrance for each room. The tent is tall enough to make 6 footer campers feel comfortable. This is definitely one of the best investments for growing families.
- Very spacious
- Divider for room privacy
- Amazing ventilation system
- Durable construction
- Door zippers could be better
NTK Arizona GT Tent
- RATED #6 FOR THE BEST FAMILY TENT IN THE USA IN 2016. SPACIOUS 9 to 10 Person (aduls/kids), 2 Rooms,...
- FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY: Double layer 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane 2500 mm water column,...
- FRAME: 100% virgin NANO-FLEX shock corded fiber glass rods with improved diameter and double gold...
- MOSQUITO MESH: Inner tent fully breathable with generous Ultra-thin polyester no-see style mesh...
- FLOOR MATERIAL AND DESIGN: Heavy duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene with inner silver coated...
Last on this list is NTK Arizona GT Tent that can accommodate from 9-10 people. This is a well-built and super reliable 3-season family tent with a fully covered fly that will protect you in any weather condition.
It is is a 2-room type tent that has an excellent ventilation system. It is a non-freestanding tent with a hybrid construction between a tunnel-type, dome, and extended-dome.
The tent is designed with two rooms, and it has a full coverage fly, so you can assure that your family will be protected from any type of weather.
- Nice layout design
- Excellent ventilation
- Has 2 doors
- Offers panoramic views
- Reasonably priced
- Doesn’t have a power port system
Family Tent Buying Guide
It is important for you to answer some questions that will ease your purchase.
Know the Right Size
Tent companies usually miscalculate the number of campers who can fit cosily in a tent. As a general rule, make sure to always have an extra space that can add another person or two in the tent. For example, if there are 4 of you in the family, buy a tent that is advertised as a 5 or 6-person tent.
Choose the Right Type
Tents that are meant to protect you from wet weather come in two types: 3-season and 4-season. Usually, a 3-season tent is enough to keep your family dry as it can handle most weather types you are likely to encounter.
On the other hand, 4-season tents are more suitable for colder weather and heavier snowfall. The downside, however, is that they usually don’t have a ventilation system that a 3-season tent can offer.
Pick the Right Shape
It’s also important to pick a tent shape that works best for your family. Dome and cabin tent type are the most common.
A cabin tent looks like the shape of a cabin or a house. They’re normally spacious and will let you stand up straight inside.
On the other hand, a dome resembles an igloo and usually don’t offer the same headroom as a previous type. Both family tents usually come with a zip-down divider which will give you privacy. Or you can leave the divider up and have one large, common sleeping place.
You don’t have a tent for bad weather yet? If you are planning an outdoor vacation with your family in the part of the world where rain is common, then you should think about getting one.
Remember, you are going camping with kids and they are not so tolerating as you might be, especially if you have younger children. So you shouldn’t let circumstances to overcome your family’s enjoyment time.
A good camping tent should be a priority to any camper, no matter where he is going camping, with whom or what are his goals at a camping site.
What does a good camping tent have to make sure your family members stay dry and satisfied? Well, I mentioned some of the factors such as space, tent type, and shape but there are other factors to consider as well.
Your tent should have a high hydrostatic head (HH) and this means how water resistant your tent actually is. However, you should also know that a tent has to be stitched well so you won’t experience the tent leaking.
The most common problem in bad weather conditions are zippers where the rain can easily enter the tent. I suggest you choose a tent that has zippers with a cover.
What about a waterproof tent? Tents are made from different fabrics that have a waterproof coat which protects from the rain and snow.
How can you secure your tent even more from the rain? This task is easy as you can get a large tarp and put it over your tent and surroundings. It is an easy solution that will double your protection and make your tent surroundings drier.
Pitching a tent in the right place is a basic rule when you are camping where it rains a lot. My suggestion is that you don’t pitch it on soft grounds, on slopes, and in depressions.
Don’t forget to pack a raincoat for your family and also other clothes like jackets, socks, shirts etc. You should have a synthetic jacket or coat that will not absorb the water (forget about cotton clothes in rainy conditions).
Hopefully, this article helped you to find the best family tents for bad weather so you will spend your vacation dry and happy. Before you spend your hard earned money on any tent, make sure it suits your needs.
I wish you a happy family camping.