Have you ever been camping and your tent started to leak? This is the worst thing that you can experience and it can easily ruin your outdoor adventure.
I remember how mine started to leak after a rainstorm in late fall. I was not prepared enough, neither had a waterproof tent.
So, don’t compromise with the quality and choose one of the best tents for rain and wind that won’t let you down.
Best tents for rain and wind In 2021
|Browning Camping Glacier 4-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|TOMOUNT 8-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|NTK Cherokee GT 3/4-Person Dome Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Eureka! Tetragon HD 4-Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Coleman Elite WeatherMaster 6 Screened Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Marmot Unisex's Limelight 2P Ultralight 2 Person Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Moon Lence 2 Person Camping Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|UNP 6 Person Waterproof Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|SANDEGOO 1 Person Camping Tent||Check price on Amazon|
|Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent||Check price on Amazon|
Best waterproof tents on Amazon
Waterproof and windproof camping tents are manufactured with special care and consideration of material, design, poles, and additional product features.
They are sturdy and strong. Most of them are equipped with a rainfly. These ones have different hydrostatic head levels that show how water-resistant the fabric is.
When you face bad weather on your camping trip you should have the proper equipment to stay protected and safe.
I know that you don’t want to experience wet clothes and sleeping area so here are the top models for rain and wind with waterproof features.
Browning Camping Glacier Tent
- Free-standing, aluminum two-pole design offers easy assembly with pole clips that snap over tent...
- Full coverage fly offers two large vestibules and maximum protection from weather and UV damage
- Straight side walls gives you ultimate interior room for more storage and head space. Pole diameter:...
- Fully equipped with mesh roof vents, two doors with zippered mesh windows, mesh storage pockets,...
- Base Size: 8' x 9', Center Height: 6', Total Weight: 19 lbs. 4 oz.
This freestanding unit endures 50 mph winds, 18” of snow, and a rainstorm.
It is one of the top models for heavy rain which has a full rainfly that protects the fabric from UV and 2 vestibules (35 sq. ft.) for weather protection and storage.
This model has a base size of 8′ x 9′, weighs 19lbs, 4 oz. and has 6′ of center height.
The floor is made of heavy-duty nylon oxford and comes with a 2000mm coating. Its bathtub floor is very durable and will endure years of use.
Poles are aluminum. Full-coverage rain buckles are made of 75D 185T polyester for additional strength and adjustability.
The two-pole system comes with four 25mm poles as well as a central hub. These heavy-duty poles are able to withstand high winds. It has mesh roof vents, mesh pockets, and 2 doors with zippered mesh windows.
This model has a gear loft to store items. The fly and floor seams are factory sealed. It includes #10 zippers that run smoothly. Straight sidewalls enable more space for moving.
TOMOUNT 8 Person Tent
- ROOMY FOR 8 - HIKERGARDEN 8-person tent is the best family tent you will find. This Tent is very...
- EASY SETUP & SMOOTH ZIP - Easy Install in 10mins. It takes only a few simple steps to set up a...
- PROFESSIONAL WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF - By a professional water testing, HIKERGARDEN family tent’s...
- VENTILATION & LIGHTWEIGHT - Get away from the city lights, and you are able to gaze at the Milky...
- SEPARATED ROOM - Our TOMOUNT provides a curtain which you can hand on inside the tent. Then you can...
The tent is appropriate to accommodate up to 8 people. This is an ideal model if you will camp with a group of people or family.
Its dimensions are 25.98 x 8.27 x 8.27 inches and it weighs 17.64 lbs. It can fit 3 queen air bed mattresses or 8 sleeping bags.
The unit is made of polyester. With its waterproof index over 4000 mm and wind-responsive frame with re-designed poles, it makes it a reliable product in bad weather.
This is one of the best family tents for bad weather that has snag-free continuous pole sleeves and is easy and fast to set up (it will take you about 10 minutes). It has one large mesh door, 5 mesh windows, and a mesh top for ventilation.
Double-layer fabric on the top takes care of the heat. It has an electrical access port and inner pockets to store items.
The two-way zippers run smoothly and are sturdy. The unit includes a curtain that separates rooms for privacy.
NTK Cherokee GT 3/4 person tent
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The Cherokee 3-4 person tent is great for a small family....
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY – 100% waterproof 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane....
- THICK NANO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY FRAME – Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double...
- BREATHABLE MICRO MOSQUITO MESH – Ultra-thin NO-SEE-UM polyester micro-mesh fabric keeps you safe...
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI FUNGUS FLOOR MATERIAL – Seamless, anti-fungal polyethylene with a silver-coated...
This dome unit from NTK company. It can accommodate 3-4 people and weighs 7.71. It measures 7ft x 7ft and has 4.4ft of center height.
It is a waterproof unit that is made of polyester Taffeta 68D 190T material that features a full-coverage 2500 mm polyurethane coating rain fly.
The heat-seamed thermoplastic coating on the CPAI-84 fire-retardant rain fly offers UV protection and has the ID label option to personalize it.
The frame is made of extra-thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles that interconnect with double gold chrome plated ferrule hardware and strong elastic.
The unit features a seamless heavy-duty antifungal polyethylene floor with a unique bathtub-style construction barrier to stay dry.
The setup is easy due to the pin-and-ring system. This model is a 3-season tent that features a two-way zipper D-shaped door.
With plenty of ultra-thin no-see-um polyester micro-mesh, you will be able to have ventilation without bugs inside.
A utility pocket and gear loft will serve you to store items while the loop will come in handy to hang a lantern.
Eureka! Tetragon 4 person tent
- Eureka!'s freestanding, two-pole dome architecture includes a fiberglass frame with clips and...
- A large main door provides easy access to the interior, while the no-see-um mesh roof and side...
- Protect your camping companions from the elements with the waterproof rain fly, bathtub floor, and...
- The tent includes the exclusive E! Media Center in-tent entertainment hub for quiet time or rainy...
- Sleeps four people; measures 8 feet 6 inches by 7 feet 6 inches (floor) and 5 feet tall at peak;...
This is a freestanding 2-pole rectangular 3-season dome unit that can accommodate up to 4 people. This model measures 8 ft. 6 inches and 7 ft. 6 inches while it has 5 ft. of center height. It weighs 8 pounds and 12 ounces.
The product has walls and a rain fly made from 63D Polyester with 1000-millimeter coating.
The construction has a bathtub–style floor and double-coated StormShield polyester fly to additionally protect you from unwanted weather elements. It features fiberglass poles.
It has a two-pole fiberglass pole frame with a ring/pin which enables an easy setup. No-see-um mesh roof and side panels offer optimum ventilation.
It has large doors, interior mesh pockets that come with a flashlight loop, and line loops for hanging your clothes.
This model includes waterproof rain fly and fully seam-taped construction. The fly rods create hoods for the door and rear window. E! Media Center pockets will take care of entertainment on rainy days.
If you want to have an even more comfortable sleeping experience in the Tetragon model I advise you to get Eureka! Camp Comfort tent floor that will enable you to have a no-slip platform for your bedding.
Coleman Elite WeatherMaster Tent
- 6-person camping tent with built-in illumination for family or group trips
- LED system offers three brightness settings for overhead interior light
- Attached 9 x 6 ft. screen room offers bug-free area for relaxation
- Spacious interior has room for 2 queen airbeds
- WeatherTec system and rainfly keep tent interior dry and comfortable
Coleman Elite WeatherMaster is one of the best waterproof family units that can accommodate up to 6 people.
The model measures 17ft x 9ft, has room for 2 queen airbeds, and has 6 feet 8-inch center height. The package weighs 41 lb.
The product is made of 75D polyester taffeta material. A zipper cuff is manufactured by water-resistant fabric. The unit features steel and fiberglass poles.
The fly, the walls, and panels on the windows and doors are made of durable polyester 75D.
Internal meshing between the tent and the fly enables optimum airflow. The opening placed at the bottom that Coleman calls the ‘Cooler Access’ might be useful to enable airflow and keep condensation in control.
It is CPX 6 compatible, powered by a battery cartridge (included, 4 D-batteries sold separately), or rechargeable cartridge.
It has an integrated lighting LED system, a divided mesh porch for bug-free lounging, D-shaped doors, and a WeatherTec system.
The system includes a wind-strong frame, protected seams, zipper protection, and waterproof floors. With the illuminated wall switch, you will be able to choose the light mode you want (low, high, and nightlight).
The tent includes a camping screen room attached which is a great covered entry leading to the main area.
If you prefer, you can divide it into two rooms using a divider placed zips in the middle, which makes it perfect for family camping.
Marmot Limelight Camping Tent
- Compact two-person igloo tent, two D-Shaped entrances with two spacious apses for equipment;...
- Well thought-out, spacious hiking tent thanks to a specially pre-bent pole in the lower third,...
- Highly water-repellent outdoor tent (1, 500 water column) with completely band-welded seams and...
- Very light and rugged 3/DAC Press-Fit 9 mm/ Velocity aluminium 8.5 mm pole with colour-coding for...
- Backpacking tent, inside measurements 221 x 135 x 109 cm, Outside 224 x 265 x 109 cm (L x W x H);...
The Marmot Limelight model is a compact two-person igloo shelter that measures 19.69 x 11.81 x 7.87 inches and can occupy 2 people max.
It weighs 5.62 pounds and is considered a wind-resistant unit with the right tension. It fits a twin bed air mattress perfectly.
The fly is made of 68D polyester Taffeta 190T 1500mm F/R, while the canopy features 40D 100% polyester no-see-um mesh F/R, 68D 100% polyester Taffeta F/R. The floor is manufactured by 68D polyester Taffeta 190T 2000mm F/R.
It is a highly water-repellent and UV-resistant outdoor freestanding tent with a 1,500mm coating. The unit features light and rugged 3/DAC press-fit 9 mm/ velocity aluminum 8.5 mm poles that are color-coded for easier setup.
The Limelight model includes sleep zone pre-bends for a more spacious sleeping area. The doors have two (9.5 sq ft) vestibules.
This model includes a footprint. It has 2 super-sized double doors with 2 vestibules.
Sleep zone pre-bends provide a more spacious sleeping area along with the strategic clip placement. The rain fly with vents and the floor are seamed-taped.
MOON LENCE Camping Tent
- Roomy 2-person Tent: With the unfolding size of 213*152*122cm (83.8*59.8*48in), the tent is spacious...
- All-round protection: 190T PU material provides 1000mm water resistance and excellent UV resistance....
- Breathable & Stable: Large section of mesh and 1 D-shaped doors with dual zippers. A ground vent and...
- Easy to Setup：2 Shock Cord Connecting Poles with clips on tent make it easy to set the tent up....
Moon Lence made a double-layer camping tent with a round shape that measures 17.24 x 6.54 x 5.67 inches and weighs 5.86 pounds.
It is meant for 2 people camping and backpacking in spring, summer, and fall. Its internal height is 47.2”.
The product is made of 190T PU material that provides a 1000mm water resistance level and UV resistance.
Features and setup
The unit is equipped with 9 lightweight iron pegs and 4 guy ropes to protect you in case of wind. It has a rain fly and D-shaped doors featuring dual zippers.
Ventilation is provided with a ground vent, mesh material, and two windows that are coverable. The setup is easy and fast with the 2 shock cord connecting poles with clips.
If you will be pitching it alone you will be able to set it up in about 15 minutes.
UNP Family Camping Tent
- 【Weatherproof &High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm polyurethane...
- 【Roomy Interior】10ft x 9ft with 78in Center Height, fit 6 sleeping bags, Has enough room for 6...
- 【Multiple Interior Storage Options】Electrical Access Port lets you run a cord from your device...
- 【Visibility And Ventilation】2 roof vents plus low side vent create "chimney effect" ventilation,...
- 【Easy Set-Up】 No particular skills needed, 2 people could set up the tent easily in 3 min. The...
This UNP double-layer waterproof and windproof model is meant for families who want to stay protected from elements.
It measures 26.7 x 10 x 9.7 inches and offers space for up to 6 people. It can fit a queen air mattress or six sleeping bags. The product has 18.35 pounds, and a center height of 78 inches.
The product is manufactured with 185T polyester fabric (floor and a rain fly) that includes a 1000mm polyurethane hydrostatic head. Poles are made of strong and durable steel fiber reinforced polymer and fiberglass.
With the rectangular roof and near-vertical walls, you will be enjoying the outdoors even more because it enables a more secure and stable structure and enough living space.
It features 5 mesh windows. The package includes 4 steel leg poles, an electrical access port, a gear loft, and mesh storage pockets for item organization.
The “chimney effect” ventilation serves for fresh air inside due to 2 roof vents plus a low side vent. A tent bugproof mesh paneling and doors offer great views and ventilation. Ripstop panels take care of privacy and wind reduction.
What about setting it up? With two helping hands you will be able to get it ready in a few minutes. The fly has buckles that easily attach for a secure structure without compromising with the breathability.
SANDEGOO Camping Tent
This is a Sandegoo double-layer one-man camping tent meant for a solo adventure in the wild.
Its dimensions are 15 x 6 x 6 inches, it has 54 inches of center height, and it weighs only 3 pounds so it is a great option for backpacking or hiking too.
The 3-season highly portable model doesn’t require poles but just one trekking pole to set it up. The inner fabric is made of anti-scratch 210T polyester & B3 breathable mesh that is strong and breathable.
A rain fly is manufactured with 210T polyester with the PU3000mm waterproof & UV 50+ sun protection. Two layers of UHMWPE blended nylon are used on the position where the most stressed spire is.
The multiple reinforcement weaving takes care of strength and toughness. You will be able to install it in about 5 minutes with the trekking pole. With the condensed water vapor, your sleeping area will stay dry.
Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
If you don’t know Wenzel it is time that you know their waterproof camping model that is meant to offer dry camping in the outdoors when the weather gets worse.
It has dimensions 28 x 11.5 x 11.2 inches, weighs 28.4 pounds, and has 6.5 feet headroom. The tent has a room for 2 queen airbeds.
The roof frame is manufactured with shock-corded fiberglass with steel uprights and corner elbows. With the weather armor feature of polyester fabric and a polyurethane water-resistant coating, it will fight against water and wind.
The Klondike model has a convertible screen room with an inverted “T” style door and inside flap zippered windows. The rain fly is seam-sealed and removable. Mesh roof vents take care of proper airflow.
This product includes a pin and ring system for an easy setup. When the sun comes strong again after the rain you can enjoy on the porch with a large front screen awning. Convenience pockets included.
Wet weather camping guide
No matter if you just started to explore the camping world or you camp for many years, it is always good to know some wet weather camping hacks to get through the adventure safe and sound.
Here are some of the common questions that I get a lot of times and some features to consider if you intend to buy a shelter that will withstand precipitation and wind.
What is the best tent for rain?
When it comes to rain that is accompanied by wind, you need a tent that is waterproof and has other features that will protect you when being outdoors.
Units for high wind and rain should have waterproof material, high hydrostatic head, sealed seams, and a rainfly.
When you are looking for this kind of shelter, consider these features and also technologies that a unit has to protect you in the case of wet weather.
What is the best tent for high winds?
A good tent for high winds should have an aerodynamic shape that withstands the wind. It also should have a strong and resilient (aluminum) pole system, guy lines, and stakes for stabilization in the situation.
Which way do you pitch a tent in wind?
It is important to know in which way to pitch it when the wind blows to stay secure. Set it up so that it will provide protection and stability.
The basic rule is to put the lowest part of the tent toward the wind. Also, avoid putting it with doors towards it.
How do you set up a tent in the rain?
It is not hard to pitch it in the rain, however, you should protect your gear to stay dry. The main task is to keep the inner tent dry so you won’t have condensation problems later on.
When you are setting it up, throw a flysheet over the top to prevent water from soaking it and your gear.
What wind speed can a tent withstand?
Light winds aren’t a problem and any camping tent can withstand them. An average family unit can withstand up to 30 mph winds. A good mountaineering model can withstand 40 mph winds and up.
How do I protect my tent in the rain?
There are a few things that you can do to protect it from the rain and condensation:
- Check it before the trip. Rainy camping requires more of your attention than camping in dry weather. Make sure you check it for possible holes and damages and fix them before going outdoors as it is hard to fix it at the camp when the rain will get in your way.
- Waterproof it with a waterproof spray before going camping. Remember, it should be clean and dry when you will do it and should dry after applying the spray.
- Place a tarp over it. A tarp is a must when camping in the rain. It will prevent it from getting inside. Place it so it will secure the entire tent, also the entrance. I recommend you get a bigger tarp so you will have more dry space around the unit.
How do you secure it in high winds?
There are several things you can do to secure it. The unit’s pegs and guy ropes are crucial here, without them your tent won’t have a chance to withstand the wind.
Make sure you have strong ones that won’t break due to the strong wind. Use a tarp over the model; it will additionally secure it.
Should I put a tarp over it?
You should put a tarp over it to prevent rainwater from getting inside. The tarp will keep it away from the shelter so the possibilities for leakage will be minimum.
Meanwhile, is also a good choice to put a tarp under it so your floor will stay dry and protected from damage.
How do you stop wind when camping?
Literally, you can’t stop it but you can help your tent to stay stabilized and secured while camping. I recommend you to find a proper pitching place.
Look for the rock hill or other natural barrier and place it there where the wind won’t blow directly in it. A tarp also helps in this situation since it keeps it off.
Waterproof Tent Features
I am sure that camping in the harsh weather conditions without a proper tent is something you don’t want. I know how it feels when it starts to leak and things get wet.
If you don’t want to experience what I did, consider the next features that your model should have when camping in remote areas or climate with lots of precipitation and wind.
Stability and Durability
You have to make sure that your model will keep you dry during the storm. It should be stable and have sturdy poles.
Camping tents are made from nylon or polyester however they could also be made using PVC coated canvas or even polycotton. To maximize the use of polyester quality, it has to be layered with polyurethane.
The unit’s ability to prevent water from leaking is measured using a tool called a hydrostatic head. Generally, the higher the level, the better it will protect you from leakage.
Condensation can be a problem on a rainy day, but you can avoid it with a model that has enough vents. Mesh windows keep it ventilated and consequently help to prevent the condensation.
A waterproof tent is not enough
A leaking tent and wet clothes inside? No way you want to experience this as I did when I was a camping rookie. Choose wisely and don’t buy a cheap model because you will regret it.
The best tents for rain and wind will withstand harsh weather and provide you comfortable experience so don’t hesitate to choose one.
Waterproof tents are must-have equipment for bad weather, however, consider my tips to stay dry and safe.