Have you been camping and your tent started to leak after a storm? This is the worst thing that you can experience and it can easily ruin your outdoor adventure.
I remember how mine started to leak after a rainstorm in late fall. I was not prepared for bad weather neither had an appropriate tent for the situation. Waterproof tents are made to protect you in harsh weather. Their material, design, and features will enable you to stay protected and dry.
So, when you are going camping in inclement weather, don’t compromise with the quality and choose one of the best tents for rain and wind that won’t let you down.
Best tents for rain and wind in 2020
Best waterproof tents on Amazon
Waterproof and windproof camping tents are manufactured with special consideration of material, design, poles and additional product features. They are sturdy and strong. Most of them are equipped with a rainfly. These ones have different hydrostatic heads that show how water resistant your tent fabric is.
When you face rain and wind on your camping trip you should have the proper equipment to be protected and safe. I know that you don’t want to experience wet clothes and sleeping area so here are the top models for rain and wind with waterproof features.
Browning Camping Glacier Tent
- Free-standing, aluminum two-pole design offers easy assembly with pole clips that snap over tent...
- Full coverage fly offers two large vestibules and maximum protection from weather and UV damage
- Straight side walls gives you ultimate interior room for more storage and head space. Pole diameter:...
- Fully equipped with mesh roof vents, two doors with zippered mesh windows, mesh storage pockets,...
- Base Size: 8' x 9', Center Height: 6', Total Weight: 19 lbs. 4 oz.
This freestanding unit endures 50 mph winds, 18” of snow and a rainstorm. It is one of the top tents for heavy rain which has a full rainfly and 2 vestibules. This model weighs 19lbs, 4 oz. and has 6′ of center hight.
The floor is made of 210D Oxford and comes with 2000mm coating. Its bathtub floor is very durable and will endure years of use. It has mesh roof vents, mesh pockets and 2 doors.
The pole system comes with four 25mm poles as well as a central hub. These heavy-duty poles are able to withstand high winds.
TOMOUNT 8 Person Tent
- ROOMY FOR 8 - HIKERGARDEN 8-person tent is the best family tent you will find. This Tent is very...
- EASY SETUP & SMOOTH ZIP - Easy Install in 10mins. It takes only a few simple steps to set up a...
- PROFESSIONAL WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF - By a professional water testing, HIKERGARDEN family tent’s...
- VENTILATION & LIGHTWEIGHT - Get away from the city lights, and you are able to gaze at the Milky...
- SEPARATED ROOM - Our TOMOUNT provides a curtain which you can hand on inside the tent. Then you can...
The tent is made of polyester and is appropriate to accommodate up to 8 people. This is an ideal model if you will camp with a group of people or family. It can fit 3 queen air bed mattresses.
This is one of the best family tents for bad weather that has snag-free continuous pole sleeves and is easy and fast to set up. It has one large mesh door, 5 mesh windows and a mesh top for ventilation. Double-layer fabric on the top takes care of the heat.
With its waterproof index over 4000 mm and wind-responsive frame, it makes it a reliable product in bad weather. It has an electrical access port and inner pockets to store items. Its dimensions are 25.98 x 8.27 x 8.27 inches and it weighs 17.64 lbs.
NTK Cherokee GT 3/4 person tent
- DESIGNED FOR QUICK & EASY ASSEMBLY – The Cherokee 3-4 person tent is great for a small family....
- DOUBLE LAYER FULL COVERAGE RAINFLY – 100% waterproof 190T polyester laminated with polyurethane....
- THICK NANO-FLEX TECHNOLOGY FRAME – Extra thick Nano-flex fiberglass poles interconnect with double...
- BREATHABLE MICRO MOSQUITO MESH – Ultra-thin NO-SEE-UM polyester micro-mesh fabric keeps you safe...
- HEAVY DUTY ANTI FUNGUS FLOOR MATERIAL – Seamless, anti-fungal polyethylene with a silver-coated...
This dome unit from NTK company is a waterproof tent that is made of polyester Taffeta 68D 190T material that features 2500 mm coating. It can accommodate up to 4 people. The floor is made of seamless heavy-duty antifungal polyethylene with a unique bathtub-style construction barrier to stay dry.
The frame is made of Nano-flex fiberglass. The setup is easy due to the pin-and-ring system. Its dimensions are 1.35 x 6.89 x 6.89 ft while the center height is 3.77 ft. It weighs 7.72 lb. This model is a 3-season tent that features one D-shaped door.
With plenty of ultra-thin NO-SEE-UM polyester micro-mesh, you will be able to have ventilation without bugs inside. The heat-seamed thermoplastic coating offers UV protection. A utility pocket and gear loft will serve you to store items while the loop will come handy to hang a lantern.
Eureka! Tetragon 4 person tent
- Eureka!'s freestanding, two-pole dome architecture includes a fiberglass frame with clips and...
- A large main door provides easy access to the interior, while the no-see-um mesh roof and side...
- Protect your camping companions from the elements with the waterproof rain fly, bathtub floor, and...
- The tent includes the exclusive E! Media Center in-tent entertainment hub for quiet time or rainy...
- Sleeps four people; measures 8 feet 6 inches by 7 feet 6 inches (floor) and 5 feet tall at peak;...
This is a freestanding 3-season dome tent that can accommodate up to 4 people. It has a fiberglass frame with a ring/pin which enables an easy setup. It has interior mesh pockets, comes with a flashlight loop and line loops for hanging your clothes.
This model measures 8 ft. 6 inches and 7 ft. 6 inches while it has 5 ft. of center hight. It weighs 8 pounds and 12 ounces. The construction has a bathtub–style floor and double-coated StormShield polyester fly to additionally protect you from unwanted weather elements. E! Media Center pockets will take care of entertainment on rainy days.
Coleman Elite WeatherMaster Tent
- 6-person camping tent with built-in illumination for family or group trips
- LED system offers three brightness settings for overhead interior light
- Attached 9 x 6 ft. screen room offers bug-free area for relaxation
- Spacious interior has room for 2 queen airbeds. 6 feet 8 inch center height
- WeatherTec system and rainfly keep tent interior dry and comfortable. E-Port makes it easy to bring...
Coleman Elite WeatherMaster is one of the best waterproof family tents that can accommodate up to 6 people. The unit is made of 75D polyester taffeta material and has room for 2 queen airbeds. It has an integrated lighting system, divided porch, D-shaped doors, and WeatherTec system.
Internal meshing between the tent and the fly enables airflow. The opening placed at the bottom that Coleman calls the ‘Cooler Access’ might be useful to enable airflow and keep condensation in control.
It has a camping screen room attached which is a great covered entry leading to the main area. If you prefer, you can divide it into two rooms using a divider placed zips in the middle, which makes it perfect for family camping. It is considered as one of the best 6 person tents for rain.
What is the best tent for rain?
When it comes to rain you need a tent that is waterproof and has other features that will protect you when being outdoors. Units for high wind and rain should have a high hydrostatic head, sealed seams, and a rainfly.
When you are looking for this kind of tent, consider these features and also technologies that a unit has to protect you in the case of rain.
What is the best tent for high winds?
A good tent for high winds should have an aerodynamic shape that withstands the wind. It also should have a strong and resilient (aluminum) pole system, guy lines and stakes for stabilization in the windy conditions.
Which way do you pitch a tent in wind?
It is important to know in which way to pitch your tent in wind to stay secure. Set it up so that it will provide protection and stability. The basic rule is to put the lowest part of the tent toward the wind. Also, avoid putting it with doors towards it.
How do you set up a tent in the rain?
It is not hard to pitch it in the rain, however, you should protect your gear to stay dry. The main task is to keep the inner tent dry so you won’t have condensation problems later on.
When you are setting up a tent, throw a flysheet over the top to prevent rain from soaking it and your gear.
What wind speed can a tent withstand?
Light winds aren’t a problem and any camping tent can withstand them. An average family unit can withstand up to 30 mph winds. A good mountaineering model can withstand 40 mph winds and up.
How do I protect my tent in the rain?
There are a few things that you can do to protect it from the rain and condensation:
- Check the tent before the trip. Rainy camping requires more of your attention than camping in dry weather. Make sure you check it for possible holes and damages and fix them before going outdoors as it is hard to fix it at the camp when the rain will get in your way.
- Waterproof the tent with a waterproof spray before going camping. Remember, it should be clean and dry when you will do it and should dry after applying the spray.
- Place a tarp over the tent. A tarp is like a must when camping in the rain. It will prevent the rain from getting inside. Place it so it will secure the entire tent, also the entrance. I recommend you get a bigger tarp so you will have more dry space around the tent.
How do you secure a tent in high winds?
There are several things you can do to secure a tent in high winds. The unit’s pegs and guy ropes are crucial here, without them your tent won’t have a chance to withstand the wind.
Make sure you have strong ones that won’t break due to the strong wind. Use a tarp over your tent; it will additionally secure it against winds and rain.
Should I put a tarp over my tent?
You should put a tarp over it to prevent rainwater from getting inside. The tarp will keep the rain away from the tent so the possibilities for leakage will be minimum. Meanwhile, is also a good choice to put a tarp under it so your tent floor will stay dry and protected from damage.
How do you stop wind when camping?
Literally, you can’t stop the wind but you can help your tent to stay stabilized and secured while camping. I recommend you to find a proper pitching place.
Look for the rock hill or other natural barrier and place the tent there where the wind won’t blow directly in it. A tarp also helps in this situation since it keeps it off.
Waterproof Tent Features
I am sure that camping in the harsh weather conditions without a proper tent is something you don’t want. I know how it feels when it starts to leak and things get wet.
If you don’t want to experience what I did, consider the next features that your model should have when camping in remote areas or climate with lots of rain and wind.
Stability and Durability
You have to make sure that your tent will keep you dry during the storm. It should be stable and have sturdy poles.
Camping tents are made from nylon or polyester however they could also be made using PVC coated canvas or even polycotton. To maximize the use of polyester quality, it has to be layered with polyurethane.
The tent’s ability to prevent water from leaking is measured using a tool called a hydrostatic head. Generally, the higher the level, the better it will protect you from leakage.
Condensation can be a problem on a rainy day, but you can avoid it with a tent that has enough vents. Mesh windows keep it ventilated and consequently help to prevent the condensation.
A waterproof tent is not enough
A leaking tent and wet clothes inside it? No way you want to experience this as I did when I was a camping rookie. Choose wisely and don’t buy a cheap model because you will regret it.
The best tents for rain and wind will withstand harsh weather and provide you comfortable outdoor enjoyment so don’t hesitate to choose one.
Waterproof camping tents are basic equipment for bad weather however consider my tips to prepare your tent and surroundings for elements to stay perfectly dry and safe.