Are you planning on going beach camping this summer? If so, be sure to pack the right supplies!
In this post, I’ll provide a beach camping checklist to make your next beach camping trip as enjoyable as possible.
From tents and sleeping bags to umbrellas and sunscreen, I’ve got you covered! So read on for all the essential beach camping gear you’ll need for a successful outdoor trip.
BEACH CAMPING LIST
Beach camping is not as easy as people imagine it to be. Of course, there is the beach right there in front of you for your enjoyment but you will have to be prepared to battle sand and strong winds.
Cooking on an open fire is almost impossible as the wind from the ocean can mess up with your plan so you will have to improvise.
So, what do you need for camping on the beach to have a successful day? The supplies that you should take with you on beach camping are different from those that you would take on a trip to the woods.
Let’s look at the beach camping checklist to see which things to bring along to stay safe and enjoy your free time.
Beach camping gear list
What to take for camping on the beach? This is the camping gear that you should have when you beach camp.
- A beach tent with sand stakes. The stakes should anchor securely into the ground to provide you with adequate protection. The tent that you need should be big enough for the air to circulate freely within the tent. If you want to know the whole procedure of tent security check how to anchor a tent on the beach.
- A sleeping pad or a yoga mat
- A sleeping bag to camp comfortable on those cold nights
- Blanket and a pillow
- A tarp
- A flashlight or a headlamp
- A beach umbrella to keep the sun away
- Beach chairs for relaxing
- Garbage bags to collect the waste
- A broom to tidy the tent
I am always hungry after a good swim so the next thing to do is to prepare a nutritious meal. If a campsite allows making a beach fire you can cook your meal instead of eating junk food.
These are some of the cooking items that belong on the beach camping checklist.
- A propane stove for cooking your meals
- A lighter and matches for lighting the stove
- Camping cookware for preparing your meals
- Reusable utensils such as plates and bowls
- A multi-tool knife, corkscrew, can opener, and pliers
- Optional; a grate and firewood. Cooking on an open fire is almost impossible as a result of the wind but you can still light a campfire, place a grate on it and cook your food.
FOOD AND WATER
Food and water are important, especially water supplies, as you should hydrate your body in the hot sun. These are some of the supplies that you will need in this regard.
- A max-food cooler for keeping your supplies fresh. However, if you will be moving around a lot, you should get a soft-sided cooler that is easy to carry around.
- A gallon of frozen water. The ice will melt to provide you with clean drinking water.
- Single-pot meals that you had prepared at home and kept in the fridge. You will only have to warm the meals when you feel hungry. The emphasis here is on single-pot meals that will reduce your cooking requirements when you arrive at the campsite.
- Fresh supplies like bread, yogurt, and fruits. Buy these items closer to your campsite to make sure that they are fresh by the time you arrive at your destination.
- Teabags and coffee
Make sure that you have the right type of clothes when summer camping on the beach. Don’t forget to pack the following items.
- A swimsuit. Bring at least a pair of swimsuits so you will change in dry ones when you come out of the water (unless you are camping on the nudist beach).
- A hat to keep the sun from your eyes and to protect the head from the heat and sunstroke.
- Shorts, shirts, and pants. You should get the quick-drying type that will be ready to use ASAP.
- T-shirts. Some of them should be long-sleeved to protect you from the cold weather.
- Water shoes. You will need water shoes that will protect you from the sharp rocks and sea urchins in the water. Do you know what to do if you step on the sea urchin? Here is the treatment of sea urchin sting.
- Sweatshirts and sweatpants if you anticipate a drop in the temperatures.
Don’t forget next personal items that belong on the beach camping checklist, especially if you will be camping for a few days, such as:
- Your toothbrush and toothpaste
- A towel to dry yourself up after bathing and swimming
- Bathing soap
- Toilet paper
- A first aid kit
- Bug repellent
- Your personal medicine
You will deal with water and sand dunes when camping on the beach. Bring some water-resistant bags for your mobile phone and other electronic devices to stay protected from the elements.
What do you take on the beach to put your clothes in? Do you fill your beach bag with all essentials and then have a hard time finding anything?
Get packing cubes that will save space and make your clothes organized.
Eagle Creek makes the best packing cubes and other traveling equipment so feel free to check it out as you may find useful items for you.
With plenty of water activities, your towels may be wet all the time.
The solution to this problem isn’t bringing more towels but getting a quick-drying towel that is made to dry faster than ordinary towels that you buy at the store and take less space.
Poly/nylon microfibers of the travel towel make it ultralight, absorbent, super soft, and easily compressible in the beach bag.
ROLLING BEACH BAG OR CART
Why would you carry a heavy beach bag on your shoulders as you can make things easier with the rolling beach bag?
These bags are one of the most useful things to pack when camping on the beach as they are made for easier transportation and organization of your essentials.
They have wheels so you will just pull them behind you. They are also appropriate for the kids to handle. The telescoping handle makes the length adjustment very simple.
WEARING A LIFE JACKET
Bringing a life jacket is one of the crucial things you need for beach camping. It should be first on the list of beach camping necessities as it helps to make you more secure.
It has bright colors so others can see you. This is especially important if you are traveling by boat and you fall into the water. It is a dangerous situation as another boat can run you over if it doesn’t see you.
A jacket comes in handy in case you lose consciousness while being in the water as the air will make you float on the surface.
Toys are not essential but they will take care of the entertainment and keep you busy. Bring a football ball and other gaming equipment for playing with other campers or your kids.
You can also bring board games that will keep you engaged when you are staying inside the tent.
If you want to have a beach camping supply list printed on the list check the beach camping checklist pdf.
CAN YOU BRING A TENT TO THE BEACH?
Some beaches don’t allow bringing tents because it will obstruct other people’s view. So, you should investigate if the beach you intend to visit allows them.
You can contact the local authority or a state park and ask them directly if they allow camping with a tent.
WHICH IS THE BEST TENT TO BRING TO THE BEACH?
If you want to be protected under the sun and enjoy the beach activities then you should consider getting a beach tent. This unit has UV sun protection that will make your adventure safe.
Beach tents are light and provide optimum airflow which is important when camping on a hot day.
You can choose between those that are grounded and make good privacy tents or canopies that offer shade as their main feature.
The model you want must have a lot of mesh and vents to enable optimum ventilation. If you have a baby you should definitely get it as the baby’s skin is very sensitive so you must protect him from the hot sun.
How do you camp on the beach comfortably?
Beach camping is an excellent backpacking experience. You can cover a lot of ground, you don’t have to worry about bears, and the scenery is usually unbeatable.
As with any type of camping, however, there are certain essentials that you need in order to ensure your safety and comfort throughout the trip.
This article provides a basic beach camping checklist that will assure you stay comfortable while enjoying the beach.
How do you pack for a beach camping trip?
When you know what to pack it’s time to take your carrying bag or a wheel bag and put everything inside.
Place each item in a separate bag. A plastic bag is best because it can be easily sealed to ensure that your items do not become wet or in a contact with sand.
How do you keep sand out of your beach tent?
To have a tent free of sand you must diligently shake out your tent each time you come back from a day’s outing.
Otherwise, the sand will start to accumulate on the floor of your tent and eventually find its way inside where you will have a hard time getting it out.
BEACH CAMPING FUN
There are many different things to consider when you go camping by the beach.
You need a tent, bedding, cooking utensils, food, and drink, but there are also specific items that will make your time more enjoyable.
I hope my list helps you with some ideas for what to bring on your next trip into nature where waves crash against the shoreline in an endless rhythm. What would be on your personal checklist?