Are you going to backpack and don’t know how to fold the clothes in the pack so they won’t get wrinkled? Which techniques should you use to fold the specific pieces of clothes?
If you want to fold the clothes correctly and save some space for other outdoor items then you should take my advice and tips on how to pack clothes in a backpack.
How to pack clothes in a backpack without wrinkles?
I remember how I had a hard time when packing my backpack for the first time when I went camping.
I took a few things, put it in the backpack and it was full immediately. Also, clothes were pretty messed up so new strategies were needed to pack them properly and here they are.
Fold and roll
This is one of the best ways to pack your clothes in a backpack. It compresses the clothes in tiny pieces which allows you to pack a lot of them in a small space. You can roll your shirts, socks, and trousers.
1. Folding shirts for packing
You can use the army roll-up technique to store your shirts when backpacking. Follow these 3 steps:
- Lay the shirt on the table and turn the bottom for a few inches. The inverted part should be straight and flat to compress the shirt as much as possible.
- Fold the left side of the shirt to the center and do the same to the right part.
- Roll the shirt from the collar and compress the shirt to remove as much air as you can. Once rolled up, use the inverted part to secure the roll.
2. How do you pack socks efficiently?
You will have to roll up your socks to keep them compact and safe in your pack. Socks can easily get misplaced and rolling them up together will prevent this from happening. Here is the technique I am using:
- Stock up your pairs of socks together. Fold the top of the sock slightly and roll the socks from the toes up.
- Use the folded part of the sock to hold the sock into a neat package.
3. How to fold underwear?
Store your underwear in small rolls for proper packaging. Use these 3 easy steps:
- Lay the underwear on a flat surface and invert the waistband.
- Fold the edges towards the center and then roll the underwear from the bottom to the waistband.
- Use the inverted part to hold the underwear securely into a tight bundle.
4. Store your socks and underwear in your shirts to save space
This is another method that you should use for packing your clothes to save space. With this method, you store your shirt, socks, and underwear in one bundle and save on space. Here is how to do that:
- Fold your underwear and socks as explained in steps 2 and 3 above.
- Place the items in the chest area of your shirt and then fold the bottom of the shirt slightly.
- Fold the sleeves of the shirt towards the center of your shirt where the socks and underwear are.
- Grab the collar of the shirt and fold the shirt downwards towards the bottom.
- Use the inverted part of the shirt to secure the bundle tightly.
5. How do you fold a skirt?
You will not be able to do it just as you did with your shirt. To compress your skirt into a tiny bundle while at the same time keeping it wrinkle-free, you will have to:
- Lay your skirt on a flat area such as a table.
- Fold the skirt lengthwise and then further in half.
- Store your skirt to the side of your bag where it will not get wrinkled.
6. How to fold pants for packing?
- Hold the pants by the waistband and fold them backward with the back pockets lining up.
- Bring the upper part of the pants towards the legs and fold the legs in half from the ankle up.
Is it better to roll clothes or fold?
Both ways are good to know but there is an unwritten rule about the clothes type you fold or roll. For example, rolling specific types of garments can save you space in the backpack and you can see which piece of cloth is rolled.
Which clothes should be rolled?
The materials that are okay to roll are polyester and lycra. It is best to roll underpants, lightweight T-shirts, tops, pants, socks, and skirts.
However, it is not advisable to roll garments like sweaters as you will get a big rolling piece of cloth.
Which clothes should be folded?
The first thing you should know is which material is okay to be folded. The clothes that are appropriate to fold are made of cotton, wool and linen. These materials wrinkle fast so they are better folded than rolled.
If you want you can get zippered cube sets of different sizes to put folded clothes in them. They will reduce the risk of garments being wrinkled.
Get a backpack organizer
A backpack organizer is a wonderful idea to pack your clothes in a backpack neatly. It is a great solution to put in a pack or a suitcase. It has drawers that will keep them organized and secure.
So, if you take my advice and fold and roll the clothes as I mention you can have an organized backpack by putting the garments in this organizer.
It is wonderful to have while you hike in the wild or staying in a hotel or a campsite as you can hang it so clothes won’t be messy.
How to pack clothes for camping?
When packing your clothes for an outdoor trip, you should do it properly to maximize space and to prevent your garments from getting wrinkled.
Use my ways to pack a different kind of clothes into your backpack or rucksack to save space for other things that you intend to pack.