Are you going camping and don’t know how to pack for camping in a tent? You shouldn’t go on a camping trip with nothing else but the clothes on your back. You will have to carry some essential supplies to make your stay outdoors enjoyable and safe. Check my 4 categories of camping essentials.
Take the necessities
When you are out there camping, there are a few things that you will need to have an enjoyable outdoor stay. You will have to eat so you should make sure that you have the right equipment for cooking your meals. The shelter is another thing that you will have to take care of to make sure that you are safe and protected all the time.
The plan, however, is not to be as comfortable as you usually are at home as the main reason for going camping is to rough it up a little bit and to enjoy nature. Carrying a lot of things will also mean that you have a lot of weight to carry around and this could limit your movements.
You should only bring the things that will support you. Avoid the fancy things that you are used to when you are at home. I have, therefore, created this article to help you learn which essentials are crucial for you to take outdoors.
Camping in a Tent Checklist
These are some of the things that you will need if you will be tent camping.
1. General equipment
This list contains the general items that you will need around your tent.
- A tent – it will provide you shelter from outdoor elements such as rain and snow. It will also keep animals and bugs away from your sleeping area.
- A sleeping bag. You can get an air mattress for extra comfort. Don’t forget the pump for your mattress.
- A lantern for lighting
- Flashlights for moving around your campsite at night. Get extra batteries as well.
- Tarps and a ground cover. They will ensure that your tent’s interior is dry when it rains.
- A multi-purpose tool with a knife
- A rope or a cord. You will use it to tie things up at camp. You can also use it to create a clothesline for hanging your wet clothes.
- Toilet paper
- Biodegradable soap for washing up
- A towel
- An ax for cutting wood for your fire
- Extra stakes to secure your tent
- Sheets and blankets
- A pillow (optional). You can fold your jacket and use it as a pillow.
2. Kitchen items
You will have to prepare meals when camping as you cannot survive on wild berries and leaves. Consider next following kitchen items to make your camping trip a success.
- A stove for cooking your meals
- Plates and mugs for your meals and drinks
- A kitchen knife
- A coffee pot to prepare your favorite beverage
- A large pot and a frying pan
- Cooking utensils such as spoons and forks. You can get a spork that serves two purposes.
- A folding table. Your campsite may have a campsite table and a folding table is just optional.
- A cutting board for preparing your foodstuff for cooking
- A water container full of water
- A purifier or iodine tablets for purifying your water
- Non-perishable foods
- A can opener
- A cooler for your perishable foods
- Tongs and grill forks
Clothes are important too. You will need to pack extra clothes when heading for a camping trip and these are some of the clothing items that you will need.
- Boots for the rough terrain in the woods
- Extra t-shirts
- A jacket
- Extra underwear
- Rain gear
- Swimsuit if you are camping close to a water source
4. Personal items
What about personal things? You will also have to pack a few personal items for your stay outdoors such as;
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- A comb or a hairbrush
- A razor
- Your medication
- Shower gel
- Feminine beauty products
- Shower cap
- Bug repellent
- A book
- First aid kit
Make an item checklist
When you are out there camping, you will need some items to make your stay enjoyable and I highlighted some of them. Of course, it is a lot of fun roughing it out in the wild but there are some things that you cannot do without.
I recommend that you make a checklist of the items that I highlighted as essential and prepare your backpack including these necessities, this way your trip will be fun and also safe.